Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change apple id to the icloud email address

Recently, I created an icloud email address, and wanted to change the apple id to match the new icloud email address. When trying to do so I am prompted with a message " This email address cannot be used as an Apple ID at this time." When searching online people suggested to remove the icloud email address from the contactable section in icloud settings. However, I am not allowed to that also as I am prompted with another message "Your email address cannot be removed. Go to iMessage and Facetime Settings." Heading to the iMessage and Facetime Settings, I untick/de-select the icloud email and address. Then I go back to remove the icloud email address from the contactable section in the icloud but with no luck and I am prompted with the same earlier message, "Your email address cannot be removed. Go to iMessage and Facetime Settings."

Could you help with this issue? What I want is to change my apple id to match the newly created icloud email address.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 9:45 AM

From the article below.

If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

Apple ID Name Change.    

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2021 9:45 AM in response to kodary

From the article below.

If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

Apple ID Name Change.    

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

Cannot change apple id to the icloud email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.