Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with receiving and sending text messages while driving

New to the iPhone. Have an SE and can't send or receive text messages. I have DND While Driving turned off, and for some reason my messages won't appear when sent, nor will they appear on my car's screen. Phone is paired to bluetooth (I can send and receive phone calls). Any ideas?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 9:31 PM

BethDRSRDP Said:

"Problem with receiving and sending text messages while driving: New to the iPhone. Have an SE and can't send or receive text messages. I have DND While Driving turned off, and for some reason my messages won't appear when sent, nor will they appear on my car's screen. Phone is paired to bluetooth (I can send and receive phone calls). Any ideas?"

-------

View the Driver's Manual:

The Driver's Manual will likely have the information you need to troubleshoot this. Perhaps you need to forget the device, and than add it back, but while you are in Park.

On a Side Note:

Don't Text while Driving: I would also suggest that you do no text while driving - it is unsafe, and unwise to perform when operating machinery.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2021 9:31 PM in response to BethDRSRDP

BethDRSRDP Said:

"Problem with receiving and sending text messages while driving: New to the iPhone. Have an SE and can't send or receive text messages. I have DND While Driving turned off, and for some reason my messages won't appear when sent, nor will they appear on my car's screen. Phone is paired to bluetooth (I can send and receive phone calls). Any ideas?"

-------

View the Driver's Manual:

The Driver's Manual will likely have the information you need to troubleshoot this. Perhaps you need to forget the device, and than add it back, but while you are in Park.

On a Side Note:

Don't Text while Driving: I would also suggest that you do no text while driving - it is unsafe, and unwise to perform when operating machinery.

Apr 26, 2021 1:36 PM in response to BethDRSRDP

I found the answer. After a three hour stay at the dealer, with no result, I came home and did a search. "How do I connect my iPhone to my car text messages?" And it was as simple as a switch. Here's the result:

"Turn on the vehicle and allow your iPhone to connect. Then tap Bluetooth in the iPhone's Settings App. Select, SYNC , then tap Show Notifications (the "switch") on the following screen." There was a blue circle exclamation point to get me to the next screen, instead of SYNC. Simple.

Now I can use Voice Command to send from a set of standard text messages that appear on my car's screen or are played through Voice Command, and my previous messages are now in a list, which can be played back only by Voice Command.

Apr 17, 2021 2:58 PM in response to BethDRSRDP

BethDRSRDP Said:

"Problem with receiving and sending text messages while driving: Thank you so much for your help! Yes, I did "unpair" it, then paired it. ("forgot" the device then added it back). And yes, thank you for the note about texting. I don't text while driving, as my car has a standard set of messages to reply using the Voice Command. I might have to take the car into the dealer.”

———-

You are welcome.

Excellent choice about not texting while driving.

I think your dealer is probably the person to talk to about this. My ultimate guess is that is it something probably built in, that the dealer turns off themselves.

Problem with receiving and sending text messages while driving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.