Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Refurbished product

In my country Apple doesn’t provide refurbished MacBook. I want to buy a MacBook Pro 2017-up model. So I found few refurbished website. They seem legit but how do I know for sure is they are actually legit. Do refurbished MacBook have serial number that is registered that I can check. Cuz they will sell me the product in a sealed box.

Therefore, I’m confused refurbished that has no way of checking authentication or second hand which I can easily check through serial number but it won’t be fresh system.

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 10:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 11:00 PM

The only "factory refurbished" official source is through Apple.com.

Anybody else is more of a recycler selling used MacBooks going through whatever unofficial "refurbishing" process they do. Unlike Apple, most of those don't replace the battery and probably have a very limited warranty (whereas Apple treats their own factory refurbished essentially as new with a full warranty, ability to purchase extended AppleCare+ coverage, and has a new battery and new serial number).

The company you are looking at may be totally fine (or not), but it's important to realize they are doing they own thing and probably aren't any sort of official Apple seller. Just look at the fine print very carefully and evaluate if you trust them to buy a used Mac from and to stand by it for any "warranty" they offer. Since it's not Apple-factory refurbished the real Apple warranty would have expired years ago and any warranty you get would be strictly through that company.

I would research the company by name to see if you can find message boards or forums where people talk about their good or bad experiences with that company. Personally, at a minimum I search for: <company name> scam, and also look for Archive.org captures of their website to verify they have been in business for at least several years.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2021 11:00 PM in response to ms-20hey

The only "factory refurbished" official source is through Apple.com.

Anybody else is more of a recycler selling used MacBooks going through whatever unofficial "refurbishing" process they do. Unlike Apple, most of those don't replace the battery and probably have a very limited warranty (whereas Apple treats their own factory refurbished essentially as new with a full warranty, ability to purchase extended AppleCare+ coverage, and has a new battery and new serial number).

The company you are looking at may be totally fine (or not), but it's important to realize they are doing they own thing and probably aren't any sort of official Apple seller. Just look at the fine print very carefully and evaluate if you trust them to buy a used Mac from and to stand by it for any "warranty" they offer. Since it's not Apple-factory refurbished the real Apple warranty would have expired years ago and any warranty you get would be strictly through that company.

I would research the company by name to see if you can find message boards or forums where people talk about their good or bad experiences with that company. Personally, at a minimum I search for: <company name> scam, and also look for Archive.org captures of their website to verify they have been in business for at least several years.

Refurbished product

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.