📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Apple Music sync in real-time between devices?

Im trying to figure out why, unlike Spotify, Apple Music will not synchronize in real-time between my desktop app and iOS app.

For example, if I start a playlist or any song on the iPhone, it doesn't show as being played in the desktop app and vice versa.

I have the Sync Library function turned ON with both devices. both devices are also logged into the same Apple Music account. both devices are running the latest versions of apps. both devices are streaming and connected to the same wi-fi.

If I were to do the same things using the Spotify apps on my iPhone and desktop, both apps update in real-time respective of one another, with maybe a half second lag, but the apps update to reflect one another during playback, skipping and even show updated history.

Can Apple Music do this???

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 7:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 8:12 AM

Hi 1ssmith,

thanks for helping, I feel like I may not being explaining myself well enough.

I am using an individual Apple Music account. I am streaming music from my iPhone 12 mini in my kitchen (on a JBL Link Smart Speaker) where I usually leave my iPhone charging.

My MacBook Pro in another room, is also signed into the same Individual Apple Music account. Both devices have the SYNC MUSIC function ON. All devices are on the same Wi-fi network.

what I would ideally like to do, is have the ability to play, skip, pause etc from any device logged into Apple Music, depending on which room im in at the moment. as I mentioned before, if I PLAY "Song-01" while in the kitchen from my iPhone, the song info does not appear in the play bar up top of the Music app on my desktop in the next room. If I PLAY "Song-02" from my MBP, the music streaming from the speaker will update the change the music to "Song-02" and activate Music from my laptop. When I return to the kitchen my iPhone will display "Song-01" PAUSED.

I do not have this issue using Spotify.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2021 8:12 AM in response to 1ssmith

Hi 1ssmith,

thanks for helping, I feel like I may not being explaining myself well enough.

I am using an individual Apple Music account. I am streaming music from my iPhone 12 mini in my kitchen (on a JBL Link Smart Speaker) where I usually leave my iPhone charging.

My MacBook Pro in another room, is also signed into the same Individual Apple Music account. Both devices have the SYNC MUSIC function ON. All devices are on the same Wi-fi network.

what I would ideally like to do, is have the ability to play, skip, pause etc from any device logged into Apple Music, depending on which room im in at the moment. as I mentioned before, if I PLAY "Song-01" while in the kitchen from my iPhone, the song info does not appear in the play bar up top of the Music app on my desktop in the next room. If I PLAY "Song-02" from my MBP, the music streaming from the speaker will update the change the music to "Song-02" and activate Music from my laptop. When I return to the kitchen my iPhone will display "Song-01" PAUSED.

I do not have this issue using Spotify.

Apr 18, 2021 9:30 AM in response to photovongsa

Thanks for reaching out to us about your Apple Music experience, Photovongsa.

We can definitely help explain some of the features of Apple Music that may be different from Spotify.

First, we'll want to make sure we are on the same page as far as the type of subscription you're using. If you are using an individual or student subscription, only your Apple ID will be able to stream music with Apple Music, and only to one device at a time. Your library and playlists will show on each connected device, offline music will be on a device by device basis, and progress in a song is not shared between devices.

If you have a family subscription, up to six different Apple IDs will have access to Apple Music, and while each family member can play music at the same time, the same Apple ID will still only be able to play on one device at a time. So for instance, in a two-person family plan, Member one can play Apple Music on their iPod Touch at the same time as Member two is playing Apple Music on their iPhone, but Member two cannot play Apple Music on their iPhone and their iPad simultaneously because they are signed in to the same Apple ID.

You can check out Access your music library on all your devices for additional details and answers to other common questions.

Hope that helps!

Apr 20, 2021 5:18 AM in response to photovongsa

Hey there, photovongsa, thanks for those details.

The closest that Apple Music will come to what you're looking for is by using a stereo pair of devices, as devices arranged in a stereo pair are treated as a single audio device.

Check out the steps in Play audio from iPhone on HomePod and other wireless speakers to see if you can set up a stereo pair in the Home app. Not all devices will be compatible with this method.

If you find that you're still unable to accomplish what you're trying to acheive with Apple Music, you may want to leave Product Feedback about Apple Music.

Take care!

Can Apple Music sync in real-time between devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.