Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App can't be reinstalled, as it is still there

Hi everyone

I was having issues with the MLB app (playback issue, nothing related to the app store etc) so I deleted it, or so I thought. I went to reinstall and instead of the little cloud arrow it said Open. When I click Open nothing happens.

I check my apps list and MLB is not there!

I restart my iPad and there is an app icon (not the real one), white with a pattern outline now on my home screen that says "MLB" Clicking it does nothing at all and only appears after I restart the iPad.

I have logged out of iTunes

I have logged out of iCloud

I have restarted the iPad

I have no idea what I can do to be able to reinstall the app. I deleted the app off my iPhone and was able to reinstall without any issue at all.

Please help :-)

Thanks

Clare

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 5:28 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 18, 2021 12:14 PM in response to clare2904

Hello, Clare.

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you’re trying to fully delete the MLB app on your iPad so that you can reinstall it, but you’re seeing an error that the app already exists on your device. It sounds like you also see the app placeholder for the MLB app after restarting your iPad, so you know that there are remnants of the app remaining on the device after deletion. It also sounds like you’ve already done some incredible troubleshooting! With the season just opening again, we can see why you need the MLB app up and running on your iPad again. Let’s see if we can make that happen.

Generally when you see the placeholder it means that the app was deleted, but your iPhone is still holding some of the data associated with the app. You mentioned that the app no longer appears in your app list, and since app lists are shown in a few places we want to make sure we do due diligence in clarifying. 

If you go to Settings > General > iPad Storage, do you see the MLB app here at all? With some of the content being deleted, the app size may have been reduced, so it’s possible it will appear toward the end of the list now. If you see the app, tap on it and choose to delete from here. If you’re prompted to delete data, make sure you delete that as well. 

If you’re still not able to delete and redownload the app, try updating to the latest iPadOS version first. Then try creating a backup of your iPad and then restoring the backup. 

Still no luck? Let us know which iPad you have and the current iPadOS version.

Warmest Regards.

Apr 18, 2021 5:59 PM in response to Ali_E1

Hi Alicia.

I swung by the local Apple store this morning and they were equally perplexed. I arranged for a phone consult with a tech and when nothing worked we did a factory reset.

You are correct in thinking the iPad held on to a piece of the app data, that is what I thought too.

Anyway, all sorted now. Thanks for replying :-)

App can't be reinstalled, as it is still there

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.