Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Update Could Not be Completed and now only have Option for Restore and Update...but Updates fail

I was updating my wife's iPhone 7 (just backed it up) and halfway through iTunes gave me a message that there was an error and the update couldn't be completed, but the phone was stuck on the Apple White Screen with the progress bar almost halfway. Left it 3 hours and no change.

Unplugged it and plugged back in, iTunes said I could "Update" or "Restore". Tried "Update" and same issue, halfway an error said Update couldn't be completed. Next time I tried "Restore", but the screen that followed only gave options for "Cancel" or "Restore and Update". Well, as you can imagine, the "Restore and Update" failed because the Update part failed as before.

Now I am stuck with an iPhone in "Restore Mode" and the only apparent options available involve an "Update" that fails. Any thoughts?

btw...I've already made sure I'm using latest iTunes and Mac software versions. I have deleted all Update files from Finder and had iTunes redownload the Update. Also Restarted the Mac several times between all these steps.

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 4:41 PM

Have you tried “Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again“ at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263 ?

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 21, 2021 2:51 PM in response to shoeluvr13

Yes it is one of those models! A1660. We bought it from Best Buy 'refurbished' for my then 14 year old son as he kept breaking his phones. He complained about the "no service" issue but we figured he had broken it - again. I was going to use it as a back-up phone The phone repair is probably not available anymore. I guess I will recycle it. Thanks for the quick response.

iPhone 7 Update Could Not be Completed and now only have Option for Restore and Update...but Updates fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.