Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud not syncing with Photo App

I have a MacBook Air 2007. Running the latest BirSur fully updated.

maybe about two months ago my photo library got a little muddled io it ended up with three photo libraries.

Upon my stupid non tech guy I decided to delete the one library and there it all started to get worse.

Now I have one library but can't get it to sync with iCloud to get all the photos into the photo app.I have a iPad and iPhone 11 them both are syncing with iCloud photos.

My question is what can I do to get the photo App Library to sync with iCloud there are approx 5000 photos there.

Help please can I make a new photo library to sync with the iCloud on this MacBook air

Help please.A friend suggested a reset of the MacBook that sound a bit drastic or maybe take it to the apple store for help.

Any suggestions Please.

David pulling my hair out.

ps.If I log int my iCloud in another item all the photos are there.

Many Thanks.

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 1:51 AM

Hi

Don't panic - this should be fairly easy. Only the system library will sync with iCloud - to set your library as the system library, go to photos preferences (general tab), and click the circled button. Then check the icloud tab looks similar to the one shown.

Screenshots are from Catalina - so might not look exactly the same.

PS - are you sure it is a 2007 Air? As far as I know that isn't supported by Big Sur?

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2021 1:51 AM in response to davidfromammanford

Hi

Don't panic - this should be fairly easy. Only the system library will sync with iCloud - to set your library as the system library, go to photos preferences (general tab), and click the circled button. Then check the icloud tab looks similar to the one shown.

Screenshots are from Catalina - so might not look exactly the same.

PS - are you sure it is a 2007 Air? As far as I know that isn't supported by Big Sur?

Apr 19, 2021 2:10 AM in response to davidfromammanford

Just in case Photos does not allow you to enable iCloud Photos because of lack of local storage, enable the checkmark "Optimise Mac Storage" in the Photos Preferences > iCloud. Then the download from iCloud will not need much additional storage. The Photos Library needs to be on the system volume or on an external volume with a wired connection. It cannot be kept on a NAS.

Apr 19, 2021 6:14 AM in response to Russ New Boy

When I open the photos app and select preferences select the Icloud tab and use this library I get a box comes on screen stating this......

Switching the System photoLibrary will turn off iCloud photos.

Any photos and videos that have not been fully downloaded will be removed from this Mac.

And shared albums will be disabled.Turn on iCloud photos for this new system photo librarian preferences.

Does that help in any way Should I select okay??

Either click On Ok Or Cancel.

iCloud not syncing with Photo App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.