You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur

I updated my Mac this afternoon. After all the installation have been completed, everything was normal until I open and edit .csv file using Numbers. After export file to .csv like I always do, I uploaded that file and I got an error said that "CSV format is wrong". Did something change in Numbers using on Big Sur?

Is there any other way for me to edit .csv file?

I am using Macbook air 2018 Big Sur 11.0.1.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 3:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 9:32 PM

On Big Sur the delimiter in the exported csv seems to be dependent on your setting for 'Decimal' at System Preferences > Language & Region > Advanced.

If you set that to . the exported csv has , as the separator.

If you set that to , the exported csv has ; as the separator.

So you may need to change that temporarily, export, and change it back.

(In my tests changing settings at File > Advanced > Language & Region ... didn't seem to help. I had to go to System Preferences as described above.)

SG

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2021 9:32 PM in response to TrangJI

On Big Sur the delimiter in the exported csv seems to be dependent on your setting for 'Decimal' at System Preferences > Language & Region > Advanced.

If you set that to . the exported csv has , as the separator.

If you set that to , the exported csv has ; as the separator.

So you may need to change that temporarily, export, and change it back.

(In my tests changing settings at File > Advanced > Language & Region ... didn't seem to help. I had to go to System Preferences as described above.)

SG

Apr 19, 2021 3:09 PM in response to TrangJI

Nothing changed that I am aware of but who knows for sure, little things get changed in updates without users being informed.

Open the "invalidly formatted" CSV in TextEdit and take a look at it. Is it using a comma or a semicolon as the separator? Which is it supposed to be? If you open the original CSV which does it use? Are numbers in your spreadsheet (or in your location) formatted with a decimal point like 1,234.00 or is the does it use a comma like 1234,00?

MacOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.