Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur - Weather widget does not have location permissions

This seems simple enough, right? The weather widget on Big Sur just shows the default California location and I cannot change it.

Which would be a simple fix, you know, just give the widget the location permissions or something.

Except I can't do that, because it doesn't ask for the ability to use my current location and the permissions in settings will not allow me to individually add apps. (seriously, when are we getting that as a feature? it'd fix, like, all the weirdly specific permission issues in macOS ever)

I also cannot do that because I apparently no longer even have a weather app, all I have is a widget that displays data for the wrong location.

screenshots:

(I genuinely don't know how this happened. I don't mess with the system files enough to have managed this, because I can't figure out how to do that on macOS in particular.)

(also - on a somewhat related note - I've noticed a small bug with the widgets menu, where if something closes it (like clicking elsewhere on screen or if the screenshot box opens up, for example), it will not open again unless you slide left on the touchpad as though you're closing it and then slide in the opposite direction to open it back up.)

Yeah.

So, to summarize - the macOS Big Sur weather widget is displaying the default/wrong location, but the only mention of a weather-based anything in my system settings is the weather app, which apparently no longer exists on my system.

MacBook, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 9:30 AM

Update - nevermind, I've figured it out.

Apparently now I have to go to "edit widgets", select the weather widget, and manually set my location on the widget to where I actually live... that's a bit annoying, not gonna lie.

Similar questions

1 reply

MacOS Big Sur - Weather widget does not have location permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.