Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAPS- Delay playing maps since IOS 14 update

When playing Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze thru the car system, there is a delay & I only get a partial direction or none if it's a short command. It worked perfect before the update, playing as a bluetooth call. Telephone calls work fine. When I am on the phone the google map command comes thru w/o delay. I have unpaired & re-paired the car & Iphone 12.. It is very dangerous, since I constantly have to look at the phone for the maps directions.

iPhone 12

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2021 9:36 AM

It's not a problem connecting to the car bluetooth system. I'm able to make and receive phone calls using bluetooth on my iPhone 12 (14.5.1). The issue is Maps voice directions are delayed and you miss the first 1 or 2 second of the instructions. I've read other posts and see a lot of people having the same concern, one post even said this problem has been advanced to the engineering team. Some people have had success in correcting the problem with the 14.5.1 update, other like me, the update did not correct the problem.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2021 9:36 AM in response to melissa_m77

It's not a problem connecting to the car bluetooth system. I'm able to make and receive phone calls using bluetooth on my iPhone 12 (14.5.1). The issue is Maps voice directions are delayed and you miss the first 1 or 2 second of the instructions. I've read other posts and see a lot of people having the same concern, one post even said this problem has been advanced to the engineering team. Some people have had success in correcting the problem with the 14.5.1 update, other like me, the update did not correct the problem.

Apr 21, 2021 9:06 AM in response to randie4620

Hello randie4620,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble with audio from map apps being delayed when connected to your car system. We are happy to share information that may help.

If you're using CarPlay, take a look at the steps here and give those a try: If you need help with CarPlay.

You may also want to try the steps under "Connect using Bluetooth" in this article: How to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your car.

Take care.

May 20, 2021 3:31 PM in response to yecats63

Hi there everyone!!

as I continue to post with Beatrice, no matter what I do I still have the delay. Today I went a couple places and I knew about 90% of where I was going, but put the navigation on to see if it was working. Apple Maps had a shorter delay than Google maps but it would just tell me the name of the street, It missed which way to turn, because of the delay. So the same.

so if nothing else, I feel like I've made new friends with all of you now!!!

My Apple Bluetooth friends!!

I will share something I found out re: the couple above posts, the hard way a couple years ago.

I've always had very up-to-date iPhones and also fairly new cars. I've used Google maps primarily for years. Five years ago I started going to Florida in the winter and had no idea where I was. One day, the Map directions would not come through the car speakers.

i'm very often on I- 95 down there, which is very busy and you can't take your eyes off the road. I went to Verizon, apple, the Lexus dealer & going back to each & called Lexus dealers all over the country. I was really really upset.

coincidently and thankfully I was speaking to my sister and I told her what was happening and that my maps would not play through the Bluetooth. She said," that happens to me sometimes, if I take a phone call off of Bluetooth and listen to it directly to my ear, it doesn't jump back into Bluetooth automatically even though it's all set up to. " she continued to say, " you need to make a phone call, and when the phone is ringing at that point switch it from the regular setting to your Bluetooth. "

It was the strangest thing!! So 4 years later, if I end up taking the phone off of Bluetooth for a conversation, & go to use maps, & it doesn't work, I dial a number, switch over to the Bluetooth connection audio, and now the maps work.

hope that helps the person above who has problems with their Bluetooth connecting sporadically.

MAPS- Delay playing maps since IOS 14 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.