Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to update and use Apple Watch after updating iPhone 5s to 12.5.2

After I update my iPhone 5s to 12.5.2 my Apple Watch Series 2 (A1758 with watchOS 3 or 4, paired before and worked well with my iPhone on iOS 12.4) forced me to update the watchOS. When trying to do so, the Watch App on my iPhone said I first need to update my iPhone. As it is already up to date with the newest iOS, in the App I only had the choice to cancel the process, which lead me to unpair my Watch. Now, I can't update the Watch and as it has been reset, I can't use my Watch anymore!

@Apple: please don't brick customers well worked hardware!

@Anyone: an ideas to solve it?

Thanks a lot for any help!

iPhone 5s

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 3:01 PM

Just an update on this: after sending it two times to Apple Repair they successfully installed the correct watchOS to work with my iPhone 5s again (which is 5.3).

The Apple customer support team was really friendly and committed to find a solution. Beside the fact that a technical problem of Apple caused the incompatibility, I am very happy that Apple is taking care on their "old" and still good working hardware :-) Thank you!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2021 3:01 PM in response to Maruan

Just an update on this: after sending it two times to Apple Repair they successfully installed the correct watchOS to work with my iPhone 5s again (which is 5.3).

The Apple customer support team was really friendly and committed to find a solution. Beside the fact that a technical problem of Apple caused the incompatibility, I am very happy that Apple is taking care on their "old" and still good working hardware :-) Thank you!

Apr 21, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Maruan

Hello Maruan,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with using your watch with your iPhone after updating. To start, which exact version of watchOS are you updated to at this time? When you say the watch has been reset, do you mean the watch has been erased? What issue are you having with pairing the watch to your iPhone again if the update didn't complete?

Cheers!

Apr 21, 2021 2:37 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

Hi Nicholas,

today I was talking with the Apple Customers Support and after 1 hour of trying different things, they told me the watch needs to be sent to Apple to setup the correct watchOS (without any costs for me).

However, if you have any idea, I am trying to answer your questions: before I start the process, I think the watchOS was on 4.3.2. As I am using iPhone 5s, updating from 12.4 to 12.5.2, the corresponding watchOS to update should be 5.3. I am not sure if the watch have be erased (how can I check this?). However the watch is unpaired, means when turning on the watch, it shows to start pairing with an iPhone ("bring you iPhone close to the watch..."). When starting to pair with my iPhone 5s, it pairs, but then in the iPhone Watch App it told me that the watch needs to be updated to the most recent watchOS version. By taping on "update" in a second screen, it told me that I need to update my iOS device first. If I follow that option, it opens one the iPhone the system softwareupdate dialog in which it is said that my iPhone is up-to-date. If I go back to the Watch App, I only can retry or cancel the update process. If I cancel, the watch is unpairing from the iPhone.

In case you have any other idea (faster then sending it for repair) you are very welcome ;-)

Best!

Apr 21, 2021 3:25 PM in response to Maruan

The current WatchOS version for the Apple Watch series 2 is 6.3, released by Apple in December. 2020. However, iOS 13.7 is required to install this version.

That’s why your Apple Watch must be sent to Apple.

The iPhone 5S was released by Apple in 2013. It should not be expected to continue to support more recent devices.

Not able to update and use Apple Watch after updating iPhone 5s to 12.5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.