Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch - Active VS Total specifically for workout.

Hi,

I have googled and been unable to find a clear answer for this.

What is the accurate count of what I burned during a workout— the active or total calories?

I have seen other threads say total accounts for your calories while at rest during the day...

BUT...

I only wear my Apple Watch during my workout - for one hour a day. And I end up with sometimes a 50-60 calorie difference between total and active. So the answer of “it counts while you’re sitting on the couch for the total” doesn’t make sense. I know I’m not burning 50 calories driving 4 minutes to my gym.

any ideas?

Apple Watch, watchOS 4

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 7:54 PM

According to What is the difference in "active cal… - Apple Community

Total calories include - basal calories + calories burned when doing a workout. Active calories are those that are burned during some activity like swimming running or anything else where your body is moving, Basal are those that your body burns during a day without any activity.

Besides the 4 minute drive, are you also including the walks to and from your car at home and at the gym?

See the "Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit" section in:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You should also make sure your watch is calibrated:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2021 7:54 PM in response to SarahLaMantia

According to What is the difference in "active cal… - Apple Community

Total calories include - basal calories + calories burned when doing a workout. Active calories are those that are burned during some activity like swimming running or anything else where your body is moving, Basal are those that your body burns during a day without any activity.

Besides the 4 minute drive, are you also including the walks to and from your car at home and at the gym?

See the "Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit" section in:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You should also make sure your watch is calibrated:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Apple Watch - Active VS Total specifically for workout.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.