Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my iphone won't work but I am signed in on the phone

I've researched this for several hours and now I'm pulling what's left of my hair out.

Find my iphone on a browser shows the iPhone XR offline. But, the phone is signed into icloud (when logging in here, I even got the two-factor authentication on the phone so it seems to be working.) Phone gives this message "Share my location unavailable - Unable to connect to server. Try gain, OK"

Phone IS connected to wifi. I can connect the phone to my PC and run itunes and see and backup it to the PC.

What can I do?

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 7:26 AM

4 replies

Apr 22, 2021 8:20 AM in response to RVHatcher

Greetings, RVHatcher.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re unable to find your iPhone, using Find My Device, even though you’re connected to internet. We can understand why you’d want a resolution.

To start, make sure your location is enabled. Navigate to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services. Ensure this is enabled for Find My iPhone. Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch 

Learn more about Location Services, here: About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS

Should the issue persist, consider reaching back out with the following answers.

• Have you tested another network?
  • Has Find My Device ever worked in the past?
  • Do other devices appear as expected?

All the best. 

Apr 23, 2021 11:15 AM in response to barberlives123

fter 90 minutes with a second level support guy the fix turned out to be pretty simple and involved three steps:

Sign out of your account (Settings, click on your name, scroll to the bottom and sign out).

Do a "Force Restart" Hit the up volume key then the down volume key then press and hold the power button until you first see the Apple logo then an image that tells you to plug in your phone to restore. Then release the button. (It might be 30-seconds or more).

Press and hold the power button to power down then repress to power back up.

I hope this helps someone before they spend several hours trying to fix it.

Apr 22, 2021 8:41 AM in response to barberlives123

Yes, location services is on all the way down to System Services. Why should the network make any difference? Shouldn't it work via cell network? Yes, it's worked in the past and all other devices show normally on iCloud.com Find my iphone.

i turned off and on location services for Find my iphone.

And, still when I open the app it asks me to sign in but I am already signed in! (Obviously because I routinely get 2-factor authentication notices).

Like I said, I've got several hours invested in troubleshooting this issue so please do send me to a generic page because I've most likely already read it and tried what it recommends.

Find my iphone won't work but I am signed in on the phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.