Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes to Music migration to Catalina: playlists become corrupted 'smart' folders

Following previous thread, I'm having exactly the problems described: iTunes playlist folders become a corrupted form of "smart folder" after migrating to the Music app. Not so smart then. As per previous thread, manually creating playlist folders and then repopulating them with desired playlists seems the only solution. Tedious to say the least.

It would at least be easier if there was a way to do a multiple select eg as for a Finder window, click one entry, then shift click another, and a whole block gets selected. Then you could drag all the playlists in the not-so-smart folder into the dumb, but more functional, new playlist folder. This works with songs inside a playlist folder - why isn't such a facility in place on the Music sidebar under 'Playlists'?

Or is it and I'm missing something from the Music app interface?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 5:01 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 27, 2021 4:21 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you turingtest2 ... using a backed up version of the .itl music library and the option-start-Music method did indeed give 'dumb' playlist folders where intended, so the conversion has gone better as you suggested. The backup dated from last September when I migrated from iTunes to the Music app, and the problem with the corrupted library was not apparent at that time. I only noticed it during the last month or so, but that might just be because I haven't been actively adding to or editing my music collection - just playing it, or it might have happened recently as a result of some more recent software update. There were only 4 albums and playlists I'd added in the intervening time. Their tracks were all present in the Music Media folder so I just had to import them into the library again and all is now as it should be.

The exercise has been useful though because I've now checked that the library knows the correct location of all the tracks. There were a very few that had unaccountably moved from their correct location in the Media folder hierarchy and just needed moving back and 'locating' when prompted by the Music app.

Thanks again.

iTunes to Music migration to Catalina: playlists become corrupted 'smart' folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.