Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to convert some of my songs to MP3s and your are telling me due to them being protected from doing this ? I use to be able to do this and now I'm not ? why is this and how do i fix it.... i've paid for these songs and I need them available

How can i convert these songs to MP3..... ?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 8:33 AM

Up to a few years ago songs purchased in itunes were DRM protected and could only be played on authorised devices, and not copied (including having their format changed). Since then the protection has not been added to audiop purchases but if you have songs purchased under the older regime the restrictions will still apply. the only way to do what you want is to burn a selection of songs at a time from a playlist to an audio CD. Then you can rip the CD's tracks back and convert the result.

Note that all this applies only to purchesed songs. If you have an Apple music subscripion you can download songs but not copy them or move them to another device (since that would subvert the fact of their being subscription-dependent).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2021 8:33 AM in response to BevStudio

Up to a few years ago songs purchased in itunes were DRM protected and could only be played on authorised devices, and not copied (including having their format changed). Since then the protection has not been added to audiop purchases but if you have songs purchased under the older regime the restrictions will still apply. the only way to do what you want is to burn a selection of songs at a time from a playlist to an audio CD. Then you can rip the CD's tracks back and convert the result.

Note that all this applies only to purchesed songs. If you have an Apple music subscripion you can download songs but not copy them or move them to another device (since that would subvert the fact of their being subscription-dependent).

I need to convert some of my songs to MP3s and your are telling me due to them being protected from doing this ? I use to be able to do this and now I'm not ? why is this and how do i fix it.... i've paid for these songs and I need them available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.