Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CaptivePortal.Nokia.com issue.

Has your use of your iPhone been interrupted by a message on the screen that reads "Cannot Verify Server Identity" The identity of "imap.aol.com" cannot be verified" and the device is locked until you press one of the two choices in Blue "Details" and "Cancel". The Details brings you to Captiveportal.nokia.com

issued by captiveportal.nokia.com then "Not Trusted" in red letters and then Expires 4/19/21, 7:59:59 PM and there is another line with More Details >

This happens on my iPhone XR running various versions of iOS (Currently 14.4.2).

This message prevents your ability to continue what you are doing, entering a phone number, writing am email or responding to a text message. The iPhone is locked as long as the message is on the screen.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 2:07 PM

Greetings, marioblanca.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It’s understandable that you’d want to resolve the issue with the error message appearing on your iPhone.

The error message you gave, leads us to think that something may not be correct in your Mail settings. Please confirm your settings: Mail - Official Apple Support

We hope this helps! Don’t hesitate to reach out with questions.

Sincerely.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2021 2:07 PM in response to marioblanca

Greetings, marioblanca.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It’s understandable that you’d want to resolve the issue with the error message appearing on your iPhone.

The error message you gave, leads us to think that something may not be correct in your Mail settings. Please confirm your settings: Mail - Official Apple Support

We hope this helps! Don’t hesitate to reach out with questions.

Sincerely.

Apr 24, 2021 7:02 AM in response to marioblanca

When you use a public Wi-Fi network that requires login you are redirected to a captive portal to capture your login information. That portal is opened in Safari. After you are connected you should be redirected to the page you intended to go to. However, if you don’t go to that page the captive portal remains in your browser. It’s certificate expires a day later so the login is required the next day. So the next time you connect to that public network (or even get near it) you will get that error. There seems to be a problem with sites that are hosted with Nokia routers, and it’s probably a bug in the router software that doesn’t delete the page after connecting. I haven’t had the problem with any other captive portals.

Here’s Apple’s tech note on this→Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

One way to prevent this is to find the network in Settings/Wi-Fi when you are near it, tap on the i next to the name, and turn off Auto-join.

Apr 23, 2021 8:42 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

The interruption occurs when I am on a phone call, or buying or selling a stock in RobinHood.com, or taking a photo. Yes it also happens when I am reading or writing an email. My Windows desktop is unaffected by this problem.

Thanks for the input Lawrence. You were able to regain control of your iPhone by doing what you describe? Did the message return after a short while or it never did return again?

CaptivePortal.Nokia.com issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.