Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop/Documents can't be opened because the original item can't be found

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Desktop became empty and non-usable, only background image. When I tried to launch it from Finder there was a mistake "Desktop can't be opened because the original item can't be found". The same issue with "Documents" folder.

Tried to reboot in safe mode - black screen, nothing happened after log-in.

Tried to delete Desktop & Documents from favorites and can't add it again. I just don't see these folders in the Sidebar list.

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 3:17 PM

Per chance did you enable the "Store in iCloud" "Desktop and Documents" option for your iCloud account?

Ref: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 24, 2021 2:30 PM in response to Tesserax

1. Desktop is not active on my main user: I can't use it, save something here, it's empty - only background image
  2. Desktop and Documents folders disappeared and I can't find any info or any file from these folders through Spotlight or manually
  3. When I tried to open it from Finder there was a mistake "Desktop can't be opened because the original item can't be found"
  4. I disabled and deleted these non-working folders from Finder and tried to show them in Sidebar menu but there were nothing (see attached screenshot from first post)
  5. I can't turn on "Desktop & Documents folders" in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive (Options) > Desktop & Documents Folders. When I check it, then close it, reopened it and its unchecked (no synchronizing I guess, some fking iCloud mistake)
  6. I can't use my Desktop in the main user because THERE ARE NO desktop & documents folders in the whole system. Desktop is empty, I don't see them in Finder, I can't check it in Finders preferences because I see 2 minuses in empty folders (attached picture)
  7. I see only 2 folders "Desktop" and "Documents" in my iCloud Drive dated 2nd April and containing 1 or 2 files (almost nothing). The problem first appeared several (2-4) days ago.
  8. I can't run my Mac in Safe Mode (when I click Shift while turning off the computer it moves me to user selection, I'm logging and then just black screen.
  9. I tried to use First Aid Disk Utility in Recovery Mode and there was a mistake "The volume /dev/disk0s2 could not be verified completely"

I don't have local Apple Store in my country.

Apr 23, 2021 2:16 PM in response to Trevi2412

If you can't run your Mac in Safe mode, there may be more issues with it than just the missing files/folders. At this point, you need to make a Genius Bar appointment at you local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to completely troubleshoot you Mac. Sound like you already had some outfit look at it. I suggest you try another one.

Desktop/Documents can't be opened because the original item can't be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.