Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem burning a hybrid disk image to BDR

I created a hybrid (HFS+/ISO/UDF) disk image from a folder using Disk Utility (File/New Image/Image from Folder). I then mounted the newly create image on the desktop. Finally, I used the Finder Burn command to burn the disk image to a blank BDR (Blu-ray Disc Recordable) disc.

After writing completed successfully, the BDR was mounted with the UDF rather than Mac OS Extended filesystem. It seems that the hybrid disk image (with multiple filesystems) was not preserved on the BDR.

I'm wondering what went wrong and whether it is possible to perform these operation using just the Disk Utility and Finder. BTW, from my investigation, it seems that another option would be to use hdiutil (makehybrid followed by burn).

Hoping that someone else has encountered this scenario and can share their solution, if any.

- Pie Lover

P.S. DropDMG from the App Store does function as expected

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 9:28 AM

I successfully ran a test of hdiutil (see below) using the (terminal) commands below. I used a DVD-R for this test in place of a BDR. The disc that was created auto-mounted as Mac OS Extended which allows any custom icons (extended attribute of type com.apple.ResourceFork) to be applied.

hdiutil create -format UNIV -volname "Photo Backup" -srcfolder /Users/{user}/Desktop/Backup\ Test backup
hdiutil burn -forceclose -noeject backup.dmg

- Pie Lover

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2021 9:28 AM in response to BlueberryLover

I successfully ran a test of hdiutil (see below) using the (terminal) commands below. I used a DVD-R for this test in place of a BDR. The disc that was created auto-mounted as Mac OS Extended which allows any custom icons (extended attribute of type com.apple.ResourceFork) to be applied.

hdiutil create -format UNIV -volname "Photo Backup" -srcfolder /Users/{user}/Desktop/Backup\ Test backup
hdiutil burn -forceclose -noeject backup.dmg

- Pie Lover

Apr 26, 2021 5:23 PM in response to BlueberryLover

I believe that I have identified the root cause of this issue. There are three options to burn disk images:

1) Burn the disk image file to optical media

2) Burn the contents of the disk image to optical media, preserving the filesystem(s) of the disk image

3) Mount the disk image and then burn the disk image's content to optical media

Option 2 will preserve extended attributes (such as custom icons). This can be accomplished without recourse to hdiutil using only Disk Utility and Finder:

1. Use Disk Utility File/New Image/Image from Folder to create a Hybrid (HFS+/ISO/UDF) disk image
    2. Without mounting the newly created disk image, use FInder File/Burn Disk Image {image name} to Disc

- Pie Lover

Problem burning a hybrid disk image to BDR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.