Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it really impossible to use a M1 Mac Mini with only bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

I have run into a problem with my M1 Mac Mini that on first boot, it seems to absolutely require connecting a WIRED USB mouse and keyboard. It cannot recognize a nearby Bluetooth keyboard and mouse that is in pairing mode.

Am I misunderstanding what's going on or is this actually a limitation of the M1 Mac Mini?

I might be able to live with that: borrow a USB mouse and keyboard from someone exactly ONCE upon setting up my M1 Mac Mini for the first time.

However, I'm now finding the additional problem that if I ever REBOOT my M1 Mac Mini even after initial setup, it still demands that I attach a wired mouse and keyboard until I log in, then it suddenly recognizes my previously paired mouse and keyboard. Note: It's impossible to log in without a mouse and keyboard so I'm stuck if I don't have a wired one of each handy.

Am I misunderstanding that as well? Is this limitation intentional or is it considered a bug?

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 10:44 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 24, 2021 4:25 AM in response to stevemadere

stevemadere wrote:

Microsoft Surface Mobile Mouse
Microsoft Surface Keyboard

As I mentioned before, if a new USB device is connected (such as an audio adapter), on the next boot after the USB device driver is installed, the bluetooth devices cannot connect until after login and re-pairing. IDK why, but that's what happens.

Do these Microsoft devices claim to be Mac compatible?

Reason is that the initial connection procedure on boot is slightly

different between Windows and macOS.

macOS polls for Bluetooth devices that have been paired

with it at boot.

Windows doesn't try to connect to devices until some

"action" is initiated by the device.

Put another way, macOS looks for devices and Windows waits

for a device "request".

Is it really impossible to use a M1 Mac Mini with only bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.