Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Screen Jagged Border When Shutdown

My mid-2014 MacBook Pro 13 inch screen has a cloudy, somewhat jagged edge on all four edges of the display when the computer is completely shutdown. When the computer is on, the screen appears normal and fully usable. Is the screen delaminating? Or something else? I apologize for the picture but since the screen is so reflective I couldn't find an angle that didn't include something. :-)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 5:08 PM

Yes, that is a known issue with the anti-reflective coating wears off. Apple has a "secret" free repair program for this issue, but it is only valid for laptops that are less than four years old so your laptop no longer qualifies for the free repair.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/17/apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs/

You are lucky that the issue is currently only affecting the outer edges of the screen. As long as you don't touch the screen or even wipe it with microfiber cloth, then you should minimize the issue getting worse. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do about it. I tried to remove the anti-reflective coating from one of our organization's old Apple laptops since the issue was affecting the center of the display where it was actually noticeable and annoying to use, but I was unsuccessful with fully removing the coating. I was able to remove the coating on half of the screen, but the other half was stubborn and is now a mix of coated area streaks and non-coated streaks.

Edit: If the issue would affect the center area of the screen and make it annoying to use, then you may want to see if you can locate a repair shop that would be able to replace just the front glass. I honestly don't know if anyone does this as it is a quite difficult repair to remove the glass without damaging the LCD panel or the cables within the Display Assembly. While I did this for the older non-Retina Apple laptops I never even attempted it with the Retina models because they are so much more fragile and difficult to remove. You would need to be careful to make sure the tech is qualified to perform such a repair.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2021 5:08 PM in response to Greyfox47

Yes, that is a known issue with the anti-reflective coating wears off. Apple has a "secret" free repair program for this issue, but it is only valid for laptops that are less than four years old so your laptop no longer qualifies for the free repair.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/17/apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs/

You are lucky that the issue is currently only affecting the outer edges of the screen. As long as you don't touch the screen or even wipe it with microfiber cloth, then you should minimize the issue getting worse. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do about it. I tried to remove the anti-reflective coating from one of our organization's old Apple laptops since the issue was affecting the center of the display where it was actually noticeable and annoying to use, but I was unsuccessful with fully removing the coating. I was able to remove the coating on half of the screen, but the other half was stubborn and is now a mix of coated area streaks and non-coated streaks.

Edit: If the issue would affect the center area of the screen and make it annoying to use, then you may want to see if you can locate a repair shop that would be able to replace just the front glass. I honestly don't know if anyone does this as it is a quite difficult repair to remove the glass without damaging the LCD panel or the cables within the Display Assembly. While I did this for the older non-Retina Apple laptops I never even attempted it with the Retina models because they are so much more fragile and difficult to remove. You would need to be careful to make sure the tech is qualified to perform such a repair.

Apr 23, 2021 9:10 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks! The idea of a "screen coating" hadn't enter my mind. I was so convinced it was the glass separating from the panel. I did a search for fixes and I noticed IFIXIT has a procedure for replacing the glass but for the 15" model. The procedure would be the same but, 13" glass are no where to be found. And since replacement display prices seem to be in the $560 range, when a true failure or my wife can't ignore it happens, the only makes sense solution is a new or refurbished laptop. The receipt says March of 2015, so that takes care of that. Thanks for your help. Most appreciated.

MacBook Pro Screen Jagged Border When Shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.