You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tried to install Big Sur but I don't have enough space

My macbook air had around 20GB of free space. I tried to download the Big Sur update which was way lighter (it said 12GB). The update started, but after a while, a screen popped up telling me I didn't have enough space to install the update, and it stopped. I then checked the storage option and it said I only had 10GB left. I can't seem to find where this "update leftovers" are, but I would really like to delete them to gain back some space.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 8:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 8:28 AM

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage. To upgrade from OS X Mountain Lion, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then upgrade to macOS Big Sur.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

How to free up storage space on your Mac

Guessing the Internal Drive of this computer is only 128 GB in size - that is doable but will require moving a lot of Applications and personal files off the drive to make the requires Space.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2021 8:28 AM in response to jericó

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage. To upgrade from OS X Mountain Lion, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then upgrade to macOS Big Sur.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

How to free up storage space on your Mac

Guessing the Internal Drive of this computer is only 128 GB in size - that is doable but will require moving a lot of Applications and personal files off the drive to make the requires Space.

I tried to install Big Sur but I don't have enough space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.