You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete the Mac OS Monterey download?

My MacBook Air (128 GB) is running on Big Sur. I wanted to upgrade it to Monterey. So I downloaded the update (around 12 GB) and proceeded to upgrade it but I couldn't do it because I don't have enough space (the upgrade needed around 25 GB empty space but I only had 8 GB remaining).

So I want to delete the 12 GB update that I downloaded. I search about it on Apple communities and found similar question [https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251252994]. So I followed the steps:

Applications -> I found the Monterey update -> I put it in trash and deleted it from trash also.

But I noticed that the 12 GB that I downloaded is still not removed.

Before starting the download I had around 38 GB but I even after removing the Monterey update I am still left with only around 26. I should be 38 GB.

Anyone have suggestions to remove the update and get my 12 GB space back?

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 10:01 PM

2 replies

Nov 28, 2021 2:24 AM in response to Piyush_G

The 128 GB internal drive should have never been made available as an option at the time of purchase. It is not large enough do much IMHO.

If one is going to attempt the upgrade to Monterey - it is going to tuff slogging to the get the drive clean enough to upgrade but the worst is still to come afterwards.

Empty Space after the Monterey installation - it is suggested to keep at least 15% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to Monterey to download, expand and install. That will translates into 128GB x 15% - 19.2 GB as Empty Space all the time.

Not suggesting not to upgrade but the reality is what it is.

As a start for making empty space on the drive , here are a few links and suggestions

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

How to delete the Mac OS Monterey download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.