You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thumb drives read-only in Big Sur?

Mac Mini M1 16GB macOS Big Sur 11.2.1. When opening documents on a USB thumb Brive, specifically in Garageband, I can't save them back to the thumb drive (formatted Fat32). "You don't have permission." Check permissions on the thumb drive, and it says I have "custom permissions." No option to change.

I know that I can reformat the drive, and this will fix it. But it's every. single. drive. I move a lot of files around via sneaker net, and this is getting old fast. This seems like Big Sur being super overzealous in its permissions control – but only with GarageBand files. Somewhere, there has to be a setting I can change to turn this off. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 9:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 10:17 AM

Make sure that GarageBand (and any application that needs it) is granted “Full Disk Access” in System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy.

2 replies

Thumb drives read-only in Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.