Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotify app black screen on Apple TV

Since some days Spotify app is not working properly. After starting the app the green Spotify logo appears for a period of time. Then the screen turns black and keeps this endlessly.

Tried without success:

re-installing of the Spotify app

re-starting Apple TV

Spotify works well on other platforms in my home network: Sonos, PlayStation, IOS, Mac OS. No network issues. Apple TV is connected to router via cable. All other apps on Apple TV work well also.

Spotify support is giving up and asks me to contact Apple support :-)

Any one having similar issues and ideas how to solve this?

Thanks + KR Klaus

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 11:35 PM

Hello, I had the same problem. I currently have an Apple TV (A2169) with tvOS 14.5 .Whenever I started Spotify, I saw the Spotify logo and then the screen stayed black. Restarting or reinstalling did not help.

What did help, however, was

1. launching Spotify.
  2. waited until the screen stayed black again,
  3. went back to the main menu
  4. then closed the app (double press the TV button for application switcher, focus the app you would like to force quit and then swipe up)

I hope the solution helps others

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 11:35 PM in response to wzi

Hello, I had the same problem. I currently have an Apple TV (A2169) with tvOS 14.5 .Whenever I started Spotify, I saw the Spotify logo and then the screen stayed black. Restarting or reinstalling did not help.

What did help, however, was

1. launching Spotify.
  2. waited until the screen stayed black again,
  3. went back to the main menu
  4. then closed the app (double press the TV button for application switcher, focus the app you would like to force quit and then swipe up)

I hope the solution helps others

May 21, 2021 11:35 PM in response to wzi

Hi,

Same issue here. I’ve got a new Apple TV 4K, fresh installation, no problem with any other app at this time.

When I launch Spotify, I see the logo and then a blank screen, so I don’t see the pairing number.

However, I can use Spotify connect so I can listen music on my TV using the Spotify app on my phone as a command (but still nothing on the TV screen, and my account is not set on the TV).

I’ve reinstalled many times the app, restarted and unplugged the AppleTV... still the same problem.

I’ve tried also changing the TV screen resolution (but not all the options)

Any clue?

thanks

May 24, 2021 12:21 AM in response to ctplx

I managed to get mine to work by rebooting my Apple TV a few times. The first reboot didn’t seem to work it took a few tries. Note I let it go to black and then rebooted and it prompted for login. Spotify support weren’t able to help anymore than to advise reboot etc. Wish they’d fix this issue. Wonder if it has anything to do with having to subscribe outside of Apple that causes this.

Jun 24, 2021 7:02 PM in response to wzi

It all has to do with the AppleTVs Siri remote and its ability to control other devices in the area. On appleTV settings in the Remotes and Devices section there is an option to “Control Tv and Receivers.” When this is set to “ON” and Spotify is opened the screen will go to the Black screen.

The current work around Solution is to 1. double tap the home button on the Siri remote and swipe up to close out Spotify on Apple TV. 2. Going into AppleTV setting and Changing he “Control Tv and Receivers” to “OFF.” 3. Go back to the Home Screen, and open Spotify on Apple TV. DONE! 

This is obviously a bug in spotify or appletv OS.

Jun 24, 2021 7:04 PM in response to jazeboy

It all has to do with the AppleTVs Siri remote and its ability to control other devices in the area. On appleTV settings in the Remotes and Devices section there is an option to “Control Tv and Receivers.” When this is set to “ON” and Spotify is opened the screen will go to the Black screen.

The current work around Solution is to 1. double tap the home button on the Siri remote and swipe up to close out Spotify on Apple TV. 2. Going into AppleTV setting and Changing he “Control Tv and Receivers” to “OFF.” 3. Go back to the Home Screen, and open Spotify on Apple TV. DONE! 

Spotify app black screen on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.