Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old printer, up to date MacOS 2021

My Mac is on Big Sur and my printer is no longer supported by Canon. It is MG4150. It was working fine two weeks ago. Now my pdf's are coming out either dropped down 20% so that the bottom gets cut off, or blank for the top 20% and the rest of the print correctly positioned on the page.

I've restarted the computer. I've turned the printer off and back on. I've deselected each of the printer options: Bonjour; Canon IJ Network; or USB Multifunction and tried them all again. Still, I cannot get a full page to print. What else can I try?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 10:09 AM

The absolute best and most current PDF support will be in the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC product. Neither it, nor Apple's Preview are PDF editors, and no one gives away a true PDF Editor for free, nor can provide all the features of the current Adobe Acrobat Pro DC product (subscription-ware).

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 10:09 AM in response to Motivated_trying

The absolute best and most current PDF support will be in the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC product. Neither it, nor Apple's Preview are PDF editors, and no one gives away a true PDF Editor for free, nor can provide all the features of the current Adobe Acrobat Pro DC product (subscription-ware).

Apr 26, 2021 8:01 AM in response to Motivated_trying

As long as the printer is networked with no USB cable connected, the MG4150 is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint on Big Sur.

With the MG4150 powered, open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, and right-click on your MG4150 entry. Select the Reset printing system item on the secondary menu. This will temporarily remove the MG4150 from your printer listing, pop open a Bonjour panel indicating that the printer was found on. your network. Click on the printer entry in the Bonjour panel, and re-add it choosing AirPrint instead of any Canon drivers. It should now work properly.

Apr 26, 2021 8:35 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for the suggestion - this is pretty much what I did. I have since discovered the problem isn't the printer. It is Adobe Acrobat. Evidently there is a conflict with printing pdf's in the Big Sur OS. I couldn't find a solution, so I have been copying, pasting, and printing my pdfs as photos. Not an easy fix, but easier than hand writing!!

Apr 26, 2021 8:49 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you again for the suggestion, but I am retired and not prepared to pay for 'pro' software. I did check that my free version was updated to the latest version. But I still have the printing problem. Since I discovered it is only with pdf's, I am prepared to live with it. I saw that there are MAC pdf editors on the market, so any advice, reviews or recommendations regarding a free version would be welcome.

old printer, up to date MacOS 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.