Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I not sync AAC audio files (voice memo's) to my iPhone?

Specifically speaking, I'm trying to sync voice memo files back to my iPhone as music.

They were originally created and saved from various iPhones I've owed over the years.

I allow iTunes (Music app) to sync voice memos from my phone. I name them, categorize them and everything. When syncing the iPhone, I manually manage content. I have all the right things checked for syncing and such.

I think the problem is because they are AAC files. It seems the AAC files won't sync back over to the phone's music app from itunes. I even change the genre from "voice memo" to a custom genre in case it treats those differently. I'm not sure of this because some few random AAC files do transfer to the phone. I have about 600 I'm trying to move to the phone, so I'd hate to have to convert so many files.

I think if I convert them to mp3/mpeg, they might transfer. Is this true?

I just don't like how it converts the original AAC's bit rate to a much lower quality when I convert them using iTunes.

I should note: I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro Max and a Mac Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6 / iTunes 12.6

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 1:53 PM

iTunes default audio format is AAC, so that in itself shouldn't be the problem. If the files have been synced from your device into your library it may remember that they are voice memos regardless of changes you make to the genre. Do you also change the media kind to music? Have you tried pasting a copy of one of the files in the Automatically Add to iTunes folder to see if the copy ends up in the right part of the library and will sync?

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 1:53 PM in response to freshchops

iTunes default audio format is AAC, so that in itself shouldn't be the problem. If the files have been synced from your device into your library it may remember that they are voice memos regardless of changes you make to the genre. Do you also change the media kind to music? Have you tried pasting a copy of one of the files in the Automatically Add to iTunes folder to see if the copy ends up in the right part of the library and will sync?

tt2

Can I not sync AAC audio files (voice memo's) to my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.