Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Mac Mail Incoming Server Password Mojave

I have several Gmail accounts and one of them is not connecting. I figured I would re-enter the server password for this account and I cannot find it anywhere. I am using Mojave.

In Mail, I see only 'Outgoing Mail Account' and no place to enter the password. In Account Information, I see only Description and Email Address.

When I go to System Preferences, and Internet Accounts, I can click on Details and get only the Description.

When I go to Users & Groups, I get only information for logging into my Mac.

The last time I had this happen (it seems to suddenly be happening now on this one of four Gmail accounts), I had to delete it from my Mac and re-enter it all. It worked again for months, now will not sync again.

I just want to check and re-enter the server settings. Where is it hidden?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 5:49 PM

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Mailbox Behaviors>Server Settings>Outgoing Mal Server>Edit SMTP list.

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 5:49 PM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Mailbox Behaviors>Server Settings>Outgoing Mal Server>Edit SMTP list.

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Apr 27, 2021 8:41 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for your response.

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Mailbox Behaviors This is a separate entry from Outgoing Mail Server.

Under Mailbox Behaviors, it appears to just be where to file emails.

When I go to:

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Server Settings>Outgoing Mal Server>Edit SMTP list

there is nothing in the list. I checked my other Gmail accounts and that is true of all of my other four Gmail accounts.

These are all IMAP accounts, if that makes any difference.

Apr 27, 2021 8:43 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your comment. I am using the Mac Mail application, not the Gmail app, if that is what you are referring to.

I have four Gmail accounts. Three of them work without any problem. They all appear to be setup the same - at least I cannot find any difference.

When I setup the accounts in the Mac Mail program (app?), I entered the proper passwords. It has worked for years. This problem has just cropped up.

Apr 29, 2021 6:31 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

I think I may have solved my problem, somehow, for now.

I never found how to input the password or server information on the Mac for the incoming server. It would be nice to know this.

But when I went onto Safari and signed in all of my Gmail accounts (and made sure they were linked together), Mail on the Mac has started working. I am receiving mail now.

Updating Mac Mail Incoming Server Password Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.