Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hands-free text message retrieval not working since upgrading to iOS 14.x

I have a Ford SYNC system on my 2015 F-150 upgraded to the latest version available (5.11). Since upgrading my iPhone XR to iOS 14 (initially to 14.2.x, now 14.5), I have been unable to retrieve text messages hands-free using Siri while in the vehicle without first unlocking the phone. I find having to raise the phone in front of my face to unlock it while driving to be a safety issue. It seems like I had this problem years ago when I first connected my iPhone 5s to the vehicle, but I can't remember what I did to resolve it. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 7:01 PM

I have figured out the issue. I had been using the phrase, "Read latest text message," to listen to any new text messages. However, that phrase would cause Siri to read the latest message I had received even if I hadn't received any new text messages since the phone was locked. Apparently Apple deemed that a privacy threat, so now it will only let you listen to new text messages, which are accessed with a phrase like, "Do I have any new text messages?" or "Read new messages." That makes some sense because now it's essentially limiting you to hear messages that would otherwise appear on the lock screen, whereas before you could go beyond that without knowing someone's passcode.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 7:01 PM in response to kmrahe

I have figured out the issue. I had been using the phrase, "Read latest text message," to listen to any new text messages. However, that phrase would cause Siri to read the latest message I had received even if I hadn't received any new text messages since the phone was locked. Apparently Apple deemed that a privacy threat, so now it will only let you listen to new text messages, which are accessed with a phrase like, "Do I have any new text messages?" or "Read new messages." That makes some sense because now it's essentially limiting you to hear messages that would otherwise appear on the lock screen, whereas before you could go beyond that without knowing someone's passcode.

Hands-free text message retrieval not working since upgrading to iOS 14.x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.