Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.5 podcast app issue

Updated to iOS 14.5. Synced podcasts with iTunes and podcasts downloaded to Apple Podcast app on iPhone 12 Pro & iPad Pro. No podcasts, however, show up in Shows in Podcast App Library in either device. Apple Podcast app is up-to-date. Are others having this issue and are they able to fix it? Will there be an update to the Apple Podcast app or to iOS to fix this issue?

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 8:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 10:50 AM

Hello, I don't have the same issue because I don't sync from itunes, however, right after upgrading to iOS 14.5 on my phone, I lost about half of the podcasts I used to follow ... maybe this is similar in a sense that they may be hidden somewhere ?

45 replies

May 25, 2021 12:58 PM in response to cyberbiker

Hello

iOS 14.6 upgrade done on my side, still the same issues :

• latest episodes don't show up : I have to go to "latest" station first, refresh this station, then newest episodes show up in each podcast
  • display order and playback order are still the same so the problem I described earlier still occurs ... (but it's off topic)

Well done Apple (and still no feedback or official statement).

May 11, 2021 8:58 PM in response to slonker

There were major changes to the iOS 14.5 Podcasts app overhaul, but, once you go through the drill of reviewing and resetting the Podcast setting, Station settings and Show settings, I find it works great.

I agree, the defaults in the new version, didn’t correlate well with our past settings. For such a big overhaul, I wish the default setting had been to list only the most recent three (or whatever) unplayed episodes with auto downloads off. The we just could have checked to insure the Shows were still assigned to Stations properly, then adjusted the various settings as necessary.

Check the Station settings (three dots in upper right corner of Station window) to see insure the proper shows are still assigned. The check your download and episode limiting options.

Here is a pic of the Podcasts app settings (left frame) at iPhone Settings>Podcasts, the Station settings (middle) and the Show settings (right).

May 11, 2021 11:41 PM in response to Xaviercurry89

Note circled “See All” in pic of Show settings in left frame below. Sometimes it appears at the bottom instead of the top. Tap it to show all Played and Unplayed episodes. You should then see your eps 15 & 16.

Click the three dots to the right of 15 or 16 and you’ll probably find they say Mark as Unplayed, which would indicate the app considered them Played. Since you had Hide Played Episodes on in Show settings, it would explain why they were hidden.

if that isn’t the case, I’m out of ideas.

May 12, 2021 11:33 PM in response to Sebastien7196

You need to form Stations of one or more Shows and listen to eps in those. Stations give you one more layer of sorting that can be different from the Show settings so you can listen to eps automatically in the sequence you choose.

The pic below shows the Podcasts app settings (left frame) at iPhone Settings>Podcasts, the Station settings (middle) and the Show settings (right). Disregard the options selected. It’s up to you to choose your permutations.

May 13, 2021 12:13 PM in response to Sebastien7196

Here is the example of the Library screen showing my seven Stations (left frame). The right frame list some of the shows in the NatSec Station,. Some of the Shows are sorted oldest-to-newest, some newest-to-oldest, some all episodes of a conference a year ago in Australia. However the Show settings are sorted, the Station will take the top 1,2,3,etc., In each assigned Show, based on the option in the Station settings.

If you find an answer that’s helpful, be sure to mark it as such. That way it draws others with the same problem to the answer and those of us helping out don’t have to repeat ourselves as much.

May 13, 2021 12:40 PM in response to stretchdogg

Toggle Enable When Following in The Podcasts app settings. Check the Shows that are not refreshing and sort the Show settings by newest-to-oldest. Be sure Episodes in Station Settings and Limit Downloads in Show settings are chosen appropriately.

The pic below shows the Podcasts app settings at iPhone Settings>Podcasts (left frame), the Station settings (middle) and the Show settings (right). Disregard the options selected. Choose your permutations as you wish.

If you find an answer that’s helpful, be sure to mark it as such. That way it draws others with the same problem to the answer and those of us helping out don’t have to repeat ourselves as much.

May 13, 2021 6:26 PM in response to Concernedpodcaster

ConcernedPodcaster, it would be helpful, if you could get two listeners — one who is receiving your latest eps and one who is not — to screenshot their Podcast app and Show settings (& Station settings, if applicable) to compare the difference.

I’ll be a volunteer, if you wish. By now you’ve probably seen my side-by-side screenshots of the Podcasts app settings at iPhone Settings>Podcasts (left frame), the Station settings (middle) and the Show settings (right) for the Axios Today Show..

May 24, 2021 2:07 PM in response to emloham

Many Others are experiencing the same problem. However, it does not appear to be the Podcast app. If you check the Apple Podcast Server for a particular Show you’ll find the server doesn’t have the latest episodes yet, even though they do appear in other third-party podcast apps.

I imagine Apple is working arduously on this glitch. In the meantime do an iOS update to 14.6. It made some needed changes to the Podcast App coding.

May 24, 2021 4:12 PM in response to molowry1313

If the latest ep of a Show appears on the Apple Podcast Server Show list, but isn’t downloading to a Show you Follow in the Podcast app, it must be a Show settings issue.

The pic below shows the Podcasts app settings at iPhone Settings>Podcasts (left frame), the Station settings (middle) and the Show settings (right) that work well for me; but choose your permutations as you wish.

Incidentally, iOS 14.6 was released this morning with some needed changes to the Podcast App coding. Grab it while it’s hot!

May 25, 2021 2:38 PM in response to Sebastien7196

I’m not sure what you mean by “latest station”.

By “…then newest episodes show up in each podcast,“ do you mean “then the newest episodes show up in each Show” or “then the newest episodes show up in each Station?”

If Automatically Download is toggles in the Podcast app settings and the Show settings, as in the pic below, new episodes should appear automatically in the Show lists and the Station lists.

HOWEVER, for some Shows Apple seems To be having a problem updating the latest episodes on the Apple Podcast Server. For those Shows nothing you do will let you download them.

May 26, 2021 11:40 AM in response to Sebastien7196

Ah,! Je comprends. C’est “Latest Episodes” en la version anglaise du podcast app.

However, I do not understand why they are not updating automatically. The French version of the app should have similar settings for the Podcasts app settings at iPhone Settings>Podcasts (left frame), the Station settings (middle) and the Show settings (right). Check the two toggles noted by blue arrows which cause Shows to be updated automatically.

May 26, 2021 12:34 PM in response to Sebastien7196

I Feel your pain. When the iOS 14.5 Podcasts app upgrade was released it took me over three hours to reset the settings for the 109 Shows I Follow and assign across seven Stations. They work fine now.

I don’t know how many Shows you follow. However some other people have had luck by creating one or more Stations and then assigning Shows to them. Automatic episode updates then recommenced as planned.

The screenshot is of my Library page with the number of new episodes in each of the seven Stations.

iOS 14.5 podcast app issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.