Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updates page in App Store looks weird

My MacBook Pro just advised me today that there is an update available. My App Store icon indicated the same.

I went into the App Store and clicked on “Updates”. The screen displayed was completely different to previous layouts (see screenshot, attached). It normally has a "cleaner" layout.

The update (iTunes) hasn't gone through.

Can anyone advise me what is going on, please?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 4:45 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2021 10:10 AM in response to Hoonose

Hello Hoonose,

We understand the App Store Updates tab isn't displaying as expected on your MacBook Pro.

Can you tell us if you continue to experience the same behavior after applying all available updates and restarting your Mac? If needed, please see how to Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac.

We also noticed that you're using macOS High Sierra. If your MacBook Pro is compatible, we'd recommend creating a Time Machine backup and upgrading to macOS Big Sur. These links can help with checking compatibility, as well as how to upgrade:

If you're unable to upgrade to macOS Big Sur, but continue to experience the same behavior after applying all available updates and restarting your Mac, please let us know.

Cheers!

May 2, 2021 8:27 AM in response to Hoonose

Hoonose,

You're very welcome.

Since the App Store still doesn't display as expected, you can Start up in safe mode to see if this helps diagnose and resolve what you're seeing.

If you don't experience the same behavior in safe mode, please restart your Mac as you normally would to see if this helps with how the App Store displays.

We also understand your concern with your Aperture library prior to upgrading to macOS Big Sur. Aperture won't run in versions of macOS after macOS Mojave, but you can Migrate your Aperture library to the Photos app or Adobe Lightroom Classic.

Prior to upgrading to macOS Big Sur, please be sure to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

Best Regards!

Apr 29, 2021 9:40 AM in response to i_rina

Thanks for the advice and the links, i_rina.

I've installed the offered update in the App Store - for iTunes (12.8.3) and restarted the MBP. The “corrupted” appearance of the App Store's Updates page remains the same.

I am reluctant to upgrade to Big Sur at the moment: I have a large library of images in Aperture 3 which have to be exported first. In High Sierra, I can still do this but I believe this is the last OS where I will be able to actually do anything with Aperture 3.

As a result of this present experience, I am making the image export task a priority. I will look at updating the macOS to Big Sur then.

Cheers!

Updates page in App Store looks weird

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.