Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APP STORE NOT UPDATING

I am running Mojave macOS 10.14.6. The App Store will open, render all apps for each tabs EXCEPT the Update tab. For several days now, I had two app updates and the mac store icon in the menu bar still shows "2". Today, the Updates tab is empty, the icon still displays 2, and when I try to download a random free app, it just spins forever.

I noticed the App Store.app was update Feb 12, 2021. No problems before with updating.

Thoughts and recommendations. THANK YOU in advance!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 7:25 AM

Not a permanent solution but this worked for me over the last few days as various App upgrades have appeared (YMMV):

1. Open MAS
  2. Start download if the app is showing (not sure if this step is needed). If not showing, see below.
  3. Open Activity Monitor (Apps > Utilities)
  4. Find "appstoreagent" in the list and Force Quit it (Click X and then Force Quit)
  5. The non-downloading download will stop
  6. Click on Download again - the download starts for real (ie progress circle proceeds to end)

I had the same symptoms as you re no app icons showing in the Updates page. I can't recall exactly what I did to fix that, but I think I did steps 1,3,4 above and restarted the MAS. Then start again at step 1.

Hope this helps.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 7:25 AM in response to scmesser1

Not a permanent solution but this worked for me over the last few days as various App upgrades have appeared (YMMV):

1. Open MAS
  2. Start download if the app is showing (not sure if this step is needed). If not showing, see below.
  3. Open Activity Monitor (Apps > Utilities)
  4. Find "appstoreagent" in the list and Force Quit it (Click X and then Force Quit)
  5. The non-downloading download will stop
  6. Click on Download again - the download starts for real (ie progress circle proceeds to end)

I had the same symptoms as you re no app icons showing in the Updates page. I can't recall exactly what I did to fix that, but I think I did steps 1,3,4 above and restarted the MAS. Then start again at step 1.

Hope this helps.

Mar 1, 2021 7:07 AM in response to scmesser1

There may be no updates for you.

Be mindful, App Store is for Mac OS upgrades, not updates.

10.15 is an upgrade that you may want if you follow these directions:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250001761

10.14.6 has this sole update available here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2066?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

It is also available through Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Software Update.

Check https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/ if you think a system at Apple may be down.

And make sure your hard disk isn't over 85% full by checking Apple menu -> About This Mac -> Storage.

Mar 1, 2021 7:46 AM in response to scmesser1

Please see my post here.

If your App Store is broken.... - Apple Community

This is a known problem that many are having, likely caused by Security Update 2021-002.

Posting here will not get it fixed. I provided a feedback link in that post that will get the problem in front of an Apple employee. The number of reports is important to getting their attention.

Mar 1, 2021 8:14 AM in response to a brody

Outstanding, thank you... BUT....

App Store certainly is for App Updates. For example, I was prompted to update my Etrecheck app but it just spins and spins. I deleted Etrecheck and now, though it shows in the App Store, will not download at all. The spinning wheel is giving me flashbacks of m Windows days! Lol.

Thanks but I'm running 10.14.6 and installed the Security Update (2020-007) back in December.

Just curious... should the App Store display in System Preferences? I see no icon.

APP STORE NOT UPDATING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.