Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

app store messed up

I still use High Sierra and a 2011 imac simply because it works really well and smooth. Recently, app store's update section interface was, well, the screenshot is quite self explanatory:

On the apple discord server there are multiple people who have the same problem. What I have tried is to open the app with "open -F" in terminal and to delete everything inside ~/Library/caches/com.apple.appstore but neither changed anything.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 4:42 AM

This has become the Normal for some time now. Apple has allowed this to happen and doubtful it will be fixed since Support for High Sierra and Below has basically terminated since High Sierra Security Update in November 2020.

8 replies

Apr 28, 2021 1:57 AM in response to 80GB-HDD

80GB-HDD wrote:

So there is no way to make it look nice and neat anymore? How come the update section's gui changed anyway? was it not part of the app but rather downloaded along with the app update data?

What you are asking about " Nice and Neat " that is beyond the User ( you and I ) control. Apple is the only one that can do anything to to make it Nice and Neat - am sorry to say. The Apple Store is also Owned and Operated by Apple so they can and have done what they have decided.

One can always send Feedback to Apple asking them to make the Apple Store for High Sierra and below like it used to be - but do not hold your breath. Support for High Sierra and below is over

Apr 28, 2021 4:58 AM in response to 80GB-HDD

Welcome and Thank you too :-))

Now, if one what's the Apple Store to look as before Apple decided not to support this any longer. One can always upgrade to newer macOS on Qualifying computers. How to get old versions of macOS. Just be certain to verify the Age of this computer against the desired newer macOS. About this Mac will provide the needed information.

If going the UpGrade route - be sure to use Only Safari to open links in next page to start the download process as Other may not work. Also, do a Time Machine Backup before attempting. Another thing - starting in Catalina and Big Sur there is no support for anything 32 bit and there is no workaround.

Apr 28, 2021 4:46 AM in response to PRP_53

But is the interface controlled by data downloaded along with the update status data or whatever it's called, or by the app. If it's controlled by the app, then surely if you use an older version of the app somehow, it will look "nice and neat" like before.

But after all I don't really care what it looks like as long as it's usable, I'm just being curious now

app store messed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.