Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

app store update page looks strange

In the last couple of days it seems that my update page in App Store is missing its stylesheet. The update page (and only that) is looking strange. Sometimes it helps to shut the app and open it again after a minute - sometimes NOT.

What could be the reason?

I am running High Sierra on a 2017 iMac

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 6:34 AM

Call done, the support representative has been very kind and acknowledged that this issue is likely to be server side.

She also noticed that even yesterday she saw some clients on High Sierra with this issue but she didn't think it was a widespread issue until my call.

She told me that she will raise the issue internally and suggested me to fill in a feedback report through apple.com/feedback, too, in order to prioritise the issue.

However, she told me to not expect a super fast resolution since macOS High Sierra is not actively supported by Apple anymore and currently only obsolete or vintage Macs cannot update to a more recent macOS version.

So, folks still on High Sierra, let's open Apple Support tickets and report this issue on Apple's feedback page!

130 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2021 6:34 AM in response to XFox

Call done, the support representative has been very kind and acknowledged that this issue is likely to be server side.

She also noticed that even yesterday she saw some clients on High Sierra with this issue but she didn't think it was a widespread issue until my call.

She told me that she will raise the issue internally and suggested me to fill in a feedback report through apple.com/feedback, too, in order to prioritise the issue.

However, she told me to not expect a super fast resolution since macOS High Sierra is not actively supported by Apple anymore and currently only obsolete or vintage Macs cannot update to a more recent macOS version.

So, folks still on High Sierra, let's open Apple Support tickets and report this issue on Apple's feedback page!

Apr 13, 2021 4:10 AM in response to Dan Batson

Agree, have also done everything Dan Batson has done (and more), no luck.

I've now spent a week trying to solve this, no luck. Why would I spend so much time on this?

Because we refurbish second hand iMacs and resell them with a fresh clean install of High Sierra (and we go to a lot of effort to make sure any USB installers/tools used on these machines haven't been near another iMac).

The issue has come to light because of several people have phoned stating the same problem with their iMac 2009-2011 (running High Sierra 10.13.6), the App Store update page is corrupt.

Remember too, this applies (I assume so) to some of the latest iMacs/macbooks from 2017, that came pre-installed with HS and are still running High Sierra (for whatever reason).

My first hunch was that is was the lack of up-to-date firmware, by installing this new installer of 10.13.6, and what was needed was the original release of HS 10.13.6 without any security updates, or that it's a result of a revoked/out of date security certificate. Though the issue now seems to point to Apple's servers (again, could be a certifcate issue).

It's made even more difficult because of the restraints put on obtaining and using different and older versions of High Sierra 10.13, in an attempt to work out the issue. Apple has put so many unnecessary obstacles in place, which can only be seen as anti-competitive moves by Apple, against second hand resellers. (In many ways older mac machines are the biggest competition for Apple, getting people to dump them).

Removing the original High Sierra 10.13.6 from the Apple Store and replacing it with a convoluted process, with a version that has security updates in place, that prevents the 'usual fix/hack' of applying Combo Update 10.13.6 over the top, from working, and thus applying any necessary firmware/file permission changes.

I've no problem with Apple not offering security updates as planned for a particular version (that part was known), what I do object to, is Apple trashing the backend server CSS interface, in effect 'switching it off' causing how the original OOTB (Out of the Box) iMac update page is display as garbled, displaying as a basic font, and is then perceived to a virus to someone buying a secondhand machine.

In many ways, that's what it is, a virus but done by Apple. What we don't know if this was done purposely to have that effect, to change the OOTB experience for second-hand buyers.

Jul 3, 2021 5:57 AM in response to GreatJay

Glad it's finally fixed after three months, but that in itself, it not acceptable Apple.

The runaround from support was not acceptable, using scripted replies to try remedies on the user's mac when it was clear to anyone with any technical expertise, that this was server side and clearly related to a CSS issue. (as many of us stated).

A large number of mac users will have spent time (and money) trying to resolve this, when it was the fault of Apple all along.

Add to the fact I had to take this up matter up formally with the UK's National Cyber Security Centre, UK Trading Standards and the UK's Competition and markets authority to put high profile pressure on Apple to fix this.

NB. In a word, this wasn't resolved 'easily'.

And what really p sses me off with all this Apple, was Steve Jobs was obsessed with typography, Enough Said.

Tim Cook, you really should be embarassed by this. Apple's management has clearly taken their eye of the ball to let this happen for so long.

But as said, glad it has been fixed, and rightly so.

It was too important to let this slip below the radar, to accept this garbled update page. It would have given companies like Apple 'carte blanche' (unrestricted power) to switch off server side support on devices after only three years of support to show in now uncertain terms your device is now "unsupported", i.e. buy a new one, "new and shiny".

Apr 6, 2021 7:02 PM in response to joeMich

Hello joeMich,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with the way your App Store Updates tab is displayed. Does the issue occur after restarting your Mac?

If so, test the issue in another user account to see if it occurs there: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2021 12:01 AM in response to MrBannana

I have also submitted a concise and terse bug report to Apple Feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

My two Early 2009 Mac Pros and my 15" 2016 MacBook Pro are all running MacOS 10.13.6 and all have this failure to load CSS in just the Updates tab. Those machines are workhorses. I cannot update beyond High Sierra on the 2009 Macs because the graphics cards do not support Metal. Plus I still run a few older graphic design apps that would not be able to run in Mohave or Catalina (notably Adobe CS6). I could upgrade my 2016 MBP but I prefer to keep all three Macs at the same MacOS version.

May 7, 2021 3:17 PM in response to joeMich

Just finished providing similar feedback at - https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Reads as follows:

MacOS High Sierra - App Store - Updates page not formatting correctly.

I manage 5 macOS based Macs at home. All running High Sierra, as 2 of the devices are MBP 17" 2011 models and H/S is the latest macOS supported. I find it easier to keep things the same. The other 3 are iMac 27". 1 is 2013 model, the other 2 are 2015 5k models.

The App Store app was recently updated on 1 of the 5k iMacs - my main Mac. This is the one which has the complete mess for the update software tab of the App Store app now.

It looks like a web page that has not finished rendering.

I understand others have reported this. I just want to add my voice to the fact, that this is not an isolated occurrence.

Hope it helps.

May 17, 2021 4:18 AM in response to Clive Sweeting

Hello Clive,

I may run the oldest Macbook in this discussion, medio 2009 running El Capitan 10.11.6.

I've had the issue for 3 months now but the page still worked so far, in these 3 months I have been able to do 4 or 5 little updates, stuff like Kindle, BitDefender, and some safety updates.

With the discussion thread growing by the day I got curious and called support today. A very nice Irish bloke informed me this issue had come to his attention just a few days ago and Apple will look into this cause the conclusion is the solution lies on their end. "Server Side Problem." And just like I expected, the first thing they look into is: DOES UPDATING STILL WORK?

Cause if it works why worry about what style sheet we work on?

The guy also asked me to submit a ticket on https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail

cause that raises the awareness that a problem does not just exist in a few places but is becoming a general nuisance.

The man assured me: we agree that no matter how old your Macbook is, at some point, it's a vintage machine you're running but updates should still be possible.

If all goes well I will receive a mail (!) informing me of whatever findings may have popped up.

So fingers crossed - we'll see!

May 17, 2021 10:49 AM in response to TayoOlayode

Hello TayoOlayode

Please follow the thread of this discussion which is going back about 3 months (or more) and now involves some 300 people. We have even called Support, which was not ready to help us (yet) before having an idea of the magnitude of the problem.

The solution would have to come from Apple, now hesitatingly getting itself ready to look into it.

I called Support today, and the man told me this had "recently been brought to his attention".

So even the office is looking up!

I want to ask you to (also) submit a ticket at https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html that will eventually help to achieve this help we are waiting for.

I have had this problem for 3 months now, but updates were possible, apps as well as security updates.

For now, this is all we can do: it's a wonder Apple will admit resolving this issue can only come from them.

But every single post added to this discussion also helps so thanks for writing!

So let's keep our fingers crossed!

May 17, 2021 11:01 AM in response to mery275

Hi mery275

5 weeks has been enough to add a lot of posts to this discussion.

Today I called support and if the man was not just trying to lull me to sleep help IS on its way: at least Apple is aware now it's not an isolated problem but it now has grown into a general nuisance.

I have been able to do updates in the 3 months I have had this; now at this moment, there are no updates to be done.

There are interesting answers in this discussion, like this one that will allow you to at least do security updates:

"1). Open Terminal.app

2). Type softwareupdate -l then hit <enter> This will list all available updates.

3). To install all updates type softwareupdate -i -a --restart then hit <enter> This will install all available updates and then automatically restart.

4). After a reboot, follow step 2 and 3 again until no more updates are available. This should ensure you have as fully a patched machine as Apple designed to give you...

Thanks for writing, every line posted here adds to the weight; if you want to please submit a ticket here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

Every ticket helps too. Cheers!

May 22, 2021 10:45 AM in response to JH2696

Hello, at the moment there are no updates, I just recently called Support.

They assured me the page will work, when updates are needed you will be able to execute them using the box Update All, as other posts in this thread will tell you. Click All Answers and you may be reassured, you're not alone, hundreds already called in.

Please submit a ticket with your problem here https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

That will also help.

Here is a way to check for security updates using the Terminal app, this will not work for app updates:

1). Open Terminal.app

2). Type softwareupdate -l then hit <enter> This will list all available updates.

3). To install all updates type softwareupdate -i -a --restart then hit <enter> This will install all available updates and then automatically restart.

4). After a reboot, follow step 2 and 3 again until no more updates are available. This should ensure you have as fully a patched machine as Apple designed to give you...

Succes; I will call Support again in a few weeks.

The man I spoke to told me they are aware resolving this lies in their hands, I got an email with the case number referring to the phone call so I will be able to speak with the same man again.

May 29, 2021 11:39 AM in response to macobs30

So are you saying that after reinstalling the original OS in recovery mode, you still have no way to update the OS via the App store? Could you please clarify, as I am in the same situation. Just came into work office after a year away due to pandemic lockdown only to discover that my 2015 iMac running High Sierra cannot run Office 365 etc. until I get this Mac up to at least Catalina. It also appears that downloading old installers from Apple via this site is also broken in High Sierra now.

May 31, 2021 3:47 AM in response to mwarner712

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) 8GB

I'm sorry if this doesn't work for older macs but I just managed to upgrade and rid my Dad of the infernal broken Software Update. I spoke to an Apple Technician and he took me through these steps to upgrade from Sierra to Big Sur:

Go to support.apple.com search for ht201475 (how to upgrade to macOS Big Sur) scroll down to #4 and click “Or use this link to open the macOS Big Sur page on the App Store: Get macOS Big Sur. Then click the Get button or iCloud download icon.” Be sure to cancel the dialogue that wants you to open the App Store. Wait a few moments, then I was able to click Download.

I had spent many hours trying to trouble shoot prior to this, even reinstalling Sierra, but the App Store Software Update page was still broken. After installing Big Sur (took quite a few hours to download and go through the install process), the old MacBook Air is working well with Big Sur 11.4. I did make sure there was a heap of free space before starting (about 70GB).

Good luck!

app store update page looks strange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.