Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since installing macOS Monterey 12.3.1 many of my applications won't work.

Since installing macOS Monterey 12.3.1 many of my applications won't work. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing various apps but this doesn't help. Broken apps include: Chrome, VS Code and Microsoft teams.

Are Apple working on a fix for all the stuff that is broken by this update?

My Mac is a MacBook Pro

Processor: Intel Core i7

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 4:42 AM

jesdljfsdo wrote:

I would expect Apple to test their software updates against commonly used applications such as Chrome and VS Code. ..

Your expectation is misguided. As I wrote earlier, Apple has no ability to maintain code developed by others. If you choose to modify your Mac by installing non-Apple products, that is your choice to make. I recommend that you uninstall those products, individually or all at once, and determine if your Mac operates properly.

• If it does, then you identified the cause of your problems.
  • If it does not, then contact Apple and arrange to have your Mac fixed. To begin, click Get Support.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2022 4:42 AM in response to jesdljfsdo

jesdljfsdo wrote:

I would expect Apple to test their software updates against commonly used applications such as Chrome and VS Code. ..

Your expectation is misguided. As I wrote earlier, Apple has no ability to maintain code developed by others. If you choose to modify your Mac by installing non-Apple products, that is your choice to make. I recommend that you uninstall those products, individually or all at once, and determine if your Mac operates properly.

• If it does, then you identified the cause of your problems.
  • If it does not, then contact Apple and arrange to have your Mac fixed. To begin, click Get Support.

Apr 27, 2022 9:06 PM in response to jesdljfsdo

Can you please screenshot? What do you mean by "Doesn't work"? Do you mean that you can't open the app?

My suggestions is to restart your computer and hold down the SHIFT key to enter Safe Boot. Safe Boot eliminates the extra background activities that is straining your Mac, allowing troubleshooting easier.

If you can provide a detailed screenshot I'd be more than glad to help you further in-depth.

Sincerely,

William

Apr 28, 2022 6:06 PM in response to John Galt

I would expect Apple to test their software updates against commonly used applications such as Chrome and VS Code. If there are problems, then these should be highlighted before we are prompted to upgrade the OS. It is very poor customer service to just say it is not your problem when applications such as VS code that I need to work are crashing. It also completely erodes confidence in upgrading the operating system in the future.

Apr 28, 2022 11:44 PM in response to jesdljfsdo

What spec is your MacBook?

I recently upgraded to a 16" MacBook pro with the M1 Pro chip from a 2015 15" which I had already updated to Monterey long before with no issues. I am on version 12.3.1. The only thing I had to do on the new one was to install Rosetta and then all my apps worked again. I can't exactly remember which ones weren't working, I think mostly Adobe Creative Cloud.

I am using VS Code and Chrome with no issues at all though on both old and new MacBooks.

One thing to check is that your settings are all the same as you had them before the update.

Good luck!

Since installing macOS Monterey 12.3.1 many of my applications won't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.