Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macos Monterey 12.3.1 chrome not working

I have recently updated to macOS Monterey 12.3.1 and my chrome browser is not getting any internet. I have tried reinstalling chrome, but no use. Please help me with with this issue.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 8:45 PM

28 replies

Apr 6, 2022 10:43 PM in response to gamekingkyo

Sounds good, glad you figured it out! Just be careful, disabling SIP can put your device at risk, and isn’t recommended for anything that’s not absolutely necessary:

Apple Developer Documentation

Just be sure to re-enable it if, for whatever reason, you had to disable it. Interesting to know that Chrome wouldn’t work when disabled though. All the best!

Apr 15, 2022 9:32 PM in response to whitlockfam

Hey Whitlockfam!

You did try the uninstall instructions I said earlier?

Here is a decent visual of what to do:

https://www.techbout.com/uninstall-chrome-mac-64979/

Otherwise, can you test in a new user account on your Mac? This may tell us if it’s an issue with Chrome itself, or if there is something in your user profile causing the issue.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Thanks!

May 4, 2022 2:31 AM in response to a4840639

You are welcome :-)

Do come back to the Apple Support Communities ( ASC )  in the future, if / or when additional questions may arise

IMHO, there has been enough advise offered for the User ( you ) to make an informed choice what  the next course of action is required  to fix this computer issue.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

Apr 4, 2022 9:16 PM in response to madsadam107

Hey there!

Can you say if the the websites give an error message? Or if they just try to load but never complete?

One thing I always check in Chrome is the Extensions:

On the top menu, click Chrome > Preferences, then on the left column choose Extensions.

If you see any that you don’t need, didnt download intentionally, or indicate are unsafe, I’d remove them, and relaunch Chrome, that’s a good practice, hope that’s all that’s going on otherwise, does the same happen in Safari?

I

Apr 4, 2022 9:56 PM in response to madsadam107

Thanks for that info!

Can you check a few of your network settings?:

System Preferences > Network.

First, the network interfaces on the left column, such as WiFi, Ethernet, etc. do you have any type of VPN or security software? If so, I’d recommend as a step, removing it by clicking on it and clicking the “-“ below to remove it, then click “Apply” on the bottom right. Relaunch Chrome and test.

Otherwise, in those same Preferences, can you click “Advanced” on the bottom right, then click “Proxies”, if any other than the very bottom one are checked, I’d un-check it, click Okay, then again Apply and relaunch Chrome.

Another valid step would be to create a new network location:

On the top of those same Preferences by Location, click on the location and click Edit Locations, click on the “+” name the location, click Done then again Apply and relaunch Chrome.

Otherwise it’s possible all you need to do is delete and reinstall Chrome or even just clear the browser history, Chrome again and you may see a clear browsing history option, make sure to click All History then apply, and relaunch Chrome.

If it’s just a browser cache issue, I’d actually try that first, hope that helps!

Apr 5, 2022 8:30 PM in response to gamekingkyo

Hey there!

I think your issue is different than the original poster. In both cases however I think this may help.

I’ve found that just deleting Chrome may not be enough.

After deleting the application, open Finder, while holding Option on the keyboard, on the top menu select Go, then Library.

In the Library open Application Support. Delete, also, anything regarding Google or Chrome.

Then try reinstalling Chrome, hope that helps in either case.

Apr 15, 2022 11:17 AM in response to DiZoE

I have tried this and I am still not getting Chrome to work properly. It opens, and all I get is a big white box of a screen. I thought after the 10th time maybe it would work because when I opened Chrome I saw a blue "get started" box but then that's all that opens. If I hover the mouse over a certain part of the screen then it will sometimes show a part that I am hovering over but it's glitchy and doesn't always do it. I don't really know how to get to the system integrity protection stuff the OP talked about and not sure I want to mess with all of that. I really need the functionality of Chrome. Any other ideas? TIA

Apr 28, 2022 1:55 PM in response to madsadam107

This was my exact issue. I troubleshooted for quite some time and was able to come to a solution. My first few times reopening chrome after updating I restored all of my former pages to no avail. I finally tried opening a new chrome window after logging back in and out without restoring my former pages and my chrome came back to life with full function. I did lose all my previous pages, however, was happy to find that the chrome is still compatible with the apple update.

May 3, 2022 7:12 PM in response to a4840639

Yes, and the problem is not only Google Chrome is broken, but VSCode, Discord, and and many other apps too. 12.2 works fine with SIP disabled, so it is not anyone else's problem. Hope they fix it soon.

If you still want SIP disabled, you can roll back your system version using

```

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 12.2

```

It will install an os installer to your Applications folder. Make sure to backup your computer user Time Machine, redownload your macOS with the installer, then restore your data with the Time Machine backup.

May 3, 2022 7:42 PM in response to DiZoE

Sorry, haven't been able to get back to this thread for a bit! I eventually gave up and installed Firefox for the time being. I have been reading some of the other responses since you suggested these initial helps, I did do the uninstall instructions you gave above and reinstalling never worked. I have not tried the new user attempt yet, I will try that tomorrow if I can get to it! Thank you for your kind assistance!

macos Monterey 12.3.1 chrome not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.