Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security update for Safari 14.1 Makes It Useless, any ideas?

This update renders Safari useless with constant page reloads, anyone have a solution? Apple help suggested installing the latest OS update Big Sur which is not a solution.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 11:48 AM

Have you launched Safari by holding the shift key to prevent it reloading its last application state? This would also be a good time to clear browser cache on the Develop menu, and clear all browser history. If you have any extensions loaded, I would uninstall them one at a time to see how the browser behaves on a relaunch. Also, ensure that of those extensions, that they are the most current updates.

Safari 14.1 is working just fine for me on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and Big Sur 11.3. I purposely have no Catalina installed in the house.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2021 11:48 AM in response to Joniwankenobi

Have you launched Safari by holding the shift key to prevent it reloading its last application state? This would also be a good time to clear browser cache on the Develop menu, and clear all browser history. If you have any extensions loaded, I would uninstall them one at a time to see how the browser behaves on a relaunch. Also, ensure that of those extensions, that they are the most current updates.

Safari 14.1 is working just fine for me on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and Big Sur 11.3. I purposely have no Catalina installed in the house.

Apr 28, 2021 12:09 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hey! Thanks for your response, Im on Catalina not Big Sur. Ive tried everything you suggested its super frustrating trying to work and then the page just starts reloading itself. I shouldn’t have to upgrade the OS because a security update has screwed up how my apps are working. I couldn’t even revert using the latest snapshot so it’s alot more than just Safari.

Security update for Safari 14.1 Makes It Useless, any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.