Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro monitor closed case

I've been working with my MacBook Pro 13" M1 chip machine -  with the case closed - while connected to an LG UHD 4k monitor, using only one of the two USB 4 ports. The problem is, every time I reboot the Mac, the monitor stops working with the case closed and I have to try all kinds of combinations - power connected to the other port - disconnect/reconnect monitor to other port - connect/disconnect power cord - open/close the case - or various other similar combinations - to get it to work with only one port... there's no consistency to the steps to make it work.

Anyone know the correct steps to solve this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 1:25 PM

By design, when you close the display on your MacBook Pro, it goes to sleep. Apple has created a very narrow exception PROVIDED you follow the guidelines religiously, exactly as written. There are no exceptions -- having it work with the display closed IS the exception:

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2021 1:25 PM in response to HammerGrafix

By design, when you close the display on your MacBook Pro, it goes to sleep. Apple has created a very narrow exception PROVIDED you follow the guidelines religiously, exactly as written. There are no exceptions -- having it work with the display closed IS the exception:

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display - Apple Support

MacBook Pro monitor closed case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.