Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

far too slow

My Mac is just running far too slow. Plenty of memory available, takes forever to open anything, late 2015 model running whatever the latest update was. It’s very frustrating. Loads of wifi signal strength, hi speed data link. Bright ideas welcome, well any ideas really

thank you

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 10:21 PM

Delete Norton, if it is still installed.

The reason your iMac is slow is due to the 5400rpm hard drive. Very slow. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

However, something else that concerns me is "Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics. This could be a sign of hardware failure." Please Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support and let me know the Reference Code.

Cheers,

Jack

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2021 10:21 PM in response to Suilven1272

Delete Norton, if it is still installed.

The reason your iMac is slow is due to the 5400rpm hard drive. Very slow. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

However, something else that concerns me is "Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics. This could be a sign of hardware failure." Please Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support and let me know the Reference Code.

Cheers,

Jack

Apr 28, 2021 9:36 PM in response to Suilven1272

Hi Suilven1272,

I have a hunch this is due to a slow hard drive, but to check, I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful app to diagnose and identify issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Navigate to: https://etrecheck.com and get the free version of EtreCheckPro.
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app. It is often recommended here on Apple Support Communities. 
  3. Open EtreCheck, and before running the report, be sure to check “Allow full Drive Access” at the bottom of the EtreCheckPro window.
  4. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211. We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.

Cheers,

Jack

far too slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.