Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 15" 2016 Display Problems / Burn In

A few days ago I started noticing these bluish spots on my macbook is this burn in ? any ideas what i can do about it? I have the 15"2016 model and always took good care of it and it works perfectly fine except for this issue. I think i didn't notice it earlier because i always had the default apple background photos but after changing to neutral grey it became quite apparent. I'll try and contact Apple Support on this but as the Macbook is 4 1/2 years old I doubt they care.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 12:31 AM

jochen19 Said:

"MBP 15" 2016 Display Problems / Burn In: A few days ago I started noticing these bluish spots on my macbook is this burn in ? any ideas what i can do about it?[...]"

-------

Ghost Image:

It Seems to be a “Ghost Image”.  So, try using screensaver to fix it. Go Here: Avoiding Image Persistence on Apple Displays - Apple Support. View the third subtopic: Fixing image persistence

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2021 12:31 AM in response to jochen19

jochen19 Said:

"MBP 15" 2016 Display Problems / Burn In: A few days ago I started noticing these bluish spots on my macbook is this burn in ? any ideas what i can do about it?[...]"

-------

Ghost Image:

It Seems to be a “Ghost Image”.  So, try using screensaver to fix it. Go Here: Avoiding Image Persistence on Apple Displays - Apple Support. View the third subtopic: Fixing image persistence

May 4, 2021 10:30 AM in response to jochen19

jochen19 Said:

"MBP 15" 2016 Display Problems / Burn In: [...]I will try it a few more times but I don't know if this actually helps in my case. Is there a screen saver that works best? I tried it using the floating one and assumed because of the movement of the images that could work best but I'm not sure..."

-------

Try just One Color:

I'm not aware of any screensaver that works best, but rather than having one that movers, or one that is persitnat (i.e. a still photo), try using one color. Take a screenshot of your desktop to perform this. Use aa color (likely black or white, or something that would equal tis out, making it all one color, with the ghost image blanked out, as best).

In Depth:

I. Change your Desktop Background:

1. Go to: System Preferences
  2. Select: Desktop & Screen Saver
  3. Click: Desktop tab
  4. Select: Colors
  5. Select: a color (use custom colors for white)

II. Take a Screenshot of the desktop:

1. Go Here: Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Select: How to capture a portion of the screen
  3. Capture: a portion with the color

III. Create an Album:

1. Open: Photos App
  2. Go to: File menu
  3. Select: New Album
  4. Drag & Drop: the screenshot into the album

IV. Select the Screenshot:

1. Go to: System Preferences
  2. Select: Desktop & Screen Saver
  3. Click: Screen Saver tab
  4. Select: Classic (on left)
  5. Click: Source
  6. Click: Albums
  7. Select: Photo Library...
  8. Select: [the album. from step 3]
  9. Click: Choose button

V. Use the Screensaver:

1. Hover: your cursor over the screensaver
  2. Click: "Preview"

May 4, 2021 11:46 AM in response to jochen19

jochen19 Said:

"MBP 15" 2016 Display Problems / Burn In: [...]Do you think this will still work and not create new issues because of the black bars?"

-------

Replacing the Screen:

With bars being there, you it seems you need to have the screen replaced. The entire screen is not filling up, as it should. So, get the screen replaced. When you call Apple, take a picture and show this to them.

Apple Support Info:

Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Screenshare with the Apple Rep:

To easily show the Apple Rep what is going on here, request a prompt for a screensharing session with the Apple Rep. That will allow them to see this firsthand, and upfront. Show this user through screensharing your Mac. Show them any paperwork and hover over your device, through the Photos app on your iPhone. If you have no iPhone handy, then ask someone else, if you may use their iPhone to perform this.

May 4, 2021 11:30 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for taking the time to answer me here on the forum! I followed your instructions but sadly the result is a white screensaver with black bars on the left and right side. I changed the aspect ratio of the image in photos to 16:9 and 16:10 but it still has the black bars in the screen saver option. Do you think this will still work and not create new issues because of the black bars?

May 4, 2021 12:56 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it for the last few days even leaving my screen on with screen saver through the whole night but so far it didn't help at all. I will try it a few more times but I don't know if this actually helps in my case. Is there a screen saver that works best? I tried it using the floating one and assumed because of the movement of the images that could work best but I'm not sure...

MBP 15" 2016 Display Problems / Burn In

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.