Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck: iMac Big Sur Mail recovering 695,000 messages

I just upgraded my wife's iMac 2017, plenty of hard drive space, 8MB RAM, to Big Sur, and used Migration Assistant to bring in data & settingsj after an internet recovery, in which Apple Hardware Test found no problems.

When she opened Mail, there was a long (hours) period of "preparing to import messages." This was followed by a long (days) period of "importing recovered messages." It froze at 61,000 of the 695,000.

Reboot did not help, except that when I attempted to open Mail again, the very large number of messages seems to be coming from a different mailbox: [Gmail]/Drafts.

This process now also seems to be hung. Any suggestions?

She tells me she "spent days" deleting email messages a few months ago. Her work habits often shock and amaze people who become aware of them, so the range of possible explanations for what is going on is very large indeed.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 12:06 PM

Perhaps the backup drives were disconnected at the time the report was run. There were alternating Time Machine backups to two different external 7200 rpm HDS, and two different Carbon Copy Cloner backups to two different external 7200 rpm HDS.

I independently received advice similar to yours, and bought perhaps a faster SSD, the 1TB OWC Envoy Pro EX Thunderbolt 3. It has improved the performance of the iMac to an extraordinary degree. I recovered the machine via internet recovery, and must have run the particular report I uploaded early in the process. The iMac is now running Big Sur latest. I appreciate the help and apologize to all for any clumsiness of communication or performance on my part.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2021 12:06 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Perhaps the backup drives were disconnected at the time the report was run. There were alternating Time Machine backups to two different external 7200 rpm HDS, and two different Carbon Copy Cloner backups to two different external 7200 rpm HDS.

I independently received advice similar to yours, and bought perhaps a faster SSD, the 1TB OWC Envoy Pro EX Thunderbolt 3. It has improved the performance of the iMac to an extraordinary degree. I recovered the machine via internet recovery, and must have run the particular report I uploaded early in the process. The iMac is now running Big Sur latest. I appreciate the help and apologize to all for any clumsiness of communication or performance on my part.

Apr 30, 2021 11:53 PM in response to autnagrag

Technically nothing is wrong with the computer however there are some issues:

First, there is no evidence that the user backs up the computer, if this is correct this is shortsighted and foolish as it is a 100% guarantee data will be lost, possibly all data stored on the computer. At the very least the user should have an external HD such as a OWC Mercury Elite Pro and use Time Machine to backup the computer with. Time Machine is already installed and only relies on an external HD to back up to. In the event you are not familiar with Time Machine please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

Next, the computer is running a VERY outdated version of Mac OS and should be upgraded to Mac OS 11.3.x, the most up-to-date version of Mac OS.

Finally, the user bought a base model iMac that is limited by having 8 gB of un upgradeable RAM, however the major bottleneck is the 5400 RPM HD. What many users do is invest in an external SSD and clone their data on the HD to the SSD and use the SSD as the primary drive and use the internal HD for overflow storage. Doing so will dramatically improve performance.

Apr 30, 2021 10:54 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I went to her machine to run a new current EtreCheck report, and I found the problem to be solved. Her Mail app is finally open, and has but a mere 2,500 or so messages in it.

Would it still be worthwhile to post a current EtreCheck report?

If so, extend me a clue how to upload it, or do I just select all the text and paste it in, without actually uploading a file?

May 8, 2021 12:15 PM in response to autnagrag

Also, I watched a video from OWC detailing a memory upgrade, noting with interest that upgrading the internal HD to an SSD was a very early step in the teardown sequence. I rejected the really quite involved DIY memory upgrade, and considered the Thunderbolt SSD to be, if not more economical, at least more abrupt an improvement.

Stuck: iMac Big Sur Mail recovering 695,000 messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.