Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NFC antenna not working

Hi,

I use the NFC capability of my iPhone SE 2020 for medical reasons and Apple Pay. As of two days ago it stopped working both for scanning my blood sugars and Apple Pay. I’ve updated to iOS 14.5 since and I don’t believe this is a software issue as both my freestyle Libre app AND Apple Pay are not picking up the signal.

Could I have accidentally switched it off? Or is this a fault in the SE model that is breaks? I’ve only had my phone for 4 months.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on May 1, 2021 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 7:44 AM

I have the same issue which started about 10 days ago. Couldn't scan my freestyle libre sensor (on SE 2nd gen iphone)

I took for repair and was told that there was nothing wrong with the NFC - hardware or software.

I rang Abbot and they said they know there's an issue, they're working on it, and are sending me a replacement sensor and standalone reader... I asked when it would be fixed? They don't know.

I don't use ApplePay so don't know if that is also affected. But weirdly my wife has the same phone edition, same OS version and I downloaded librelink to her phone and it works fine... So it's not just about version compatibility - there's something else going on.

Anyway I don't want multiple devices so I hope they resolve quickly...

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2021 7:44 AM in response to Cazzrooney

I have the same issue which started about 10 days ago. Couldn't scan my freestyle libre sensor (on SE 2nd gen iphone)

I took for repair and was told that there was nothing wrong with the NFC - hardware or software.

I rang Abbot and they said they know there's an issue, they're working on it, and are sending me a replacement sensor and standalone reader... I asked when it would be fixed? They don't know.

I don't use ApplePay so don't know if that is also affected. But weirdly my wife has the same phone edition, same OS version and I downloaded librelink to her phone and it works fine... So it's not just about version compatibility - there's something else going on.

Anyway I don't want multiple devices so I hope they resolve quickly...

May 7, 2021 1:47 PM in response to Cazzrooney

I have similar issue after mu upgrade 14.5 i noticed that i am not able to use CC in my Wallet to make payment i get a message " Hold near Reader" First I thought may be one pay their reader is bad , i noticed it didn't work with couple of other merchants too. My CC information other thing are fine

Question is there an diagnosis tool , app or short code to test NFC is working , or somewhere in setting or privacy setting that may have turn of setting for NFC

Aug 2, 2021 12:22 PM in response to LynnL27

So I took my phone back to the shop I purchased it from as it is still under warranty - they sent it away to be fixed only when it was sent away they said they could not find a fault.

I then took it to an apple authorised repair shop and I explained they checked on the diagnostic tool and that too said there was no issues then when we tried to use Apple Pay it would not work again. So I left it with them and they opened it up and said it was a logic board issue and ordered me a new replacement phone.

Aug 2, 2021 12:00 PM in response to MickeyMouse212

Can you tell us how Apple fixed this issue? I've spent hours on the phone with them, have deleted and re-installed the app, checked all settings, run diagnostics, and their final recommendation is to wipe the phone and start from scratch. iOS is up to date. Abbott was no help either. I too have the SE 2020, the app had been working great since I got the phone last fall. I have an identical SE 2020 for work, and the app works on this 2nd phone (but it's a work phone so not comfortable keeping medical data on it).

Aug 16, 2021 10:53 AM in response to Cazzrooney

Same issues here with my iPhone SE 2020, but only since using the Libre 2 July 11. It started with requiring multiple scans of the sensor, then just quit reading. I installed the app on my husband's XR. The scanning and alarms work, but I cannot connect to my Libreview account, so the data is not uploading. As the Libre 2 does not have a Freestyle reader in Canada you have no backup at all. So until Abbott get this resolved, I am reverting to the 1st generation Libre. The alarm does work, I have gotten 3 since July 11. Sadly, the rest is to buggy for me to want to deal with.

I had Apple support check my SE remotely, then took it to one of the Genius bars. They both determeined the phone to be working. I believe if you can use Apple Pay your NFC is fine.

NFC antenna not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.