Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HBO MAX update

Is anyone having problems with the latest HBO Max update from April 25, 2021?

Device is Apple TV HD 4. TV OS is 14.4.xxx.

HBO Max was working perfectly until a few days ago, now it seems to hang (the three dots forever) and the only way to correct the problem is to restart the AppleTV.

Other apps work fine, including Netflix.

Bandwidth is sufficient.

Posted on May 1, 2021 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 3:09 PM

The latest version of TVOS is 14.5, which was released on April 26. Best to make sure it is up to date first.

If the issue persists then your options are to force quit the app and then reinstall. After that you would need to reach out to the developer to have them investigate.

23 replies

May 6, 2021 6:51 PM in response to vazandrew

Good luck with that. I deleted and reinstalled yesterday. The app then worked and then descended into the endless loop. I I tried that and the best they could come up with was to reboot the modem and reinstall the app. (The advice in my view was they think I am an idiot)

The short of it is the first line support has no clue. The short term work around is to run HBOMAX on the TV using airplay mirroring.

Whoever let the HBO Max out of the lab should be disciplined.

May 7, 2021 7:35 AM in response to James Fisher7

HBO MAX was working fine until the most recent update around April 25, after that, it's been largely dysfunctional. Like you, I deleted and reinstalled and it worked, the question is for how long. Have my fingers crossed but I'm not sanguine about success. I think HBO really needs to push an update to their app that fixes the problem ASAP. Restarting the AppleTV every night is not a solution. I assume their tech support was no help. Their online troubleshooting page offers the usual remedies that do not fix the problem.

May 9, 2021 9:03 PM in response to ArbeeNYC

My problem didn't begin until the most recent update of the Apple TV OS. It only occurs with the HBO MAX app however. If the Apple TV has fully cycled down, I must restart it prior to watching HBO MAX. It does not need to be restarted for pauses of less than half an hour. All other apps have continued to function normally since the update.

May 10, 2021 7:51 AM in response to sadock

Interesting. My problem started before the latest TV OS update (I believe it's 14.5.x) with the HBO MAX app only. Mine exhibits similar behavior concerning restarting the Apple TV. Or, I can delete and reinstall the HBO MAX app, but that lasts only until the Apple TV is cycled back on, at which point the problem resumes. Which version of HBO MAX are you using?

May 10, 2021 7:55 AM in response to ArbeeNYC

Just received the following Twitter message from HBO support. They say they're aware of the problem and, in the interim, they suggest the following:

Our team is currently aware of this problem, and are working on a solution. You have already discovered some temporary workarounds, but we'll list some of these below that have worked for other users:

- Force-close and reopen the HBO Max app

- Uninstall and reinstall the HBO Max app

- Restart your Apple TV device

Once we have an update, we'll let you know!

HBO MAX update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.