Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro crasches when booting after upgrade to Big Sur

After updating my MacBook Pro to Big Sur it crashes when I'm trying to login. I have booted it in safe mode and removed the applications that was loading at login. After that I manage to login but after less than a minute it crashes again. I have also tried to make a new user account but that account behaved in the same way. I have tried to reinstall Big Sur several times with no effect. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem.

Posted on May 2, 2021 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 11:33 AM

The main problem you have is that you have several anti-virus apps installed which is never a good idea as those apps will end up stepping on each others toes. In fact anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security apps are not needed on a Mac plus they usually cause more problems than they solve and they impact system performance. However, I see your laptop is being managed by a school or business so some of this software may be required by them. If you personally installed any of this software (Cylance, McAfee, FireEye), then uninstall them by following the developer's instructions. If you still have problems, then you will likely need to have your IT Department look into the issue with your laptop since it likely involves software the school/business has installed on your system.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 11:33 AM in response to Ajevas

The main problem you have is that you have several anti-virus apps installed which is never a good idea as those apps will end up stepping on each others toes. In fact anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security apps are not needed on a Mac plus they usually cause more problems than they solve and they impact system performance. However, I see your laptop is being managed by a school or business so some of this software may be required by them. If you personally installed any of this software (Cylance, McAfee, FireEye), then uninstall them by following the developer's instructions. If you still have problems, then you will likely need to have your IT Department look into the issue with your laptop since it likely involves software the school/business has installed on your system.

May 3, 2021 11:34 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks! I also recognised that several anti virus applications was installed and Cylance was one of them that I didn't recognise from before. It is a corporate computer but I'm administrator for my own Mac and when I uninstalled Cylance it seem to work like a charm. We will see if they'll try to re-install it again later but at least I now know what the problem is.

Macbook Pro crasches when booting after upgrade to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.