Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone would not charge past 80% even Optimized Battery Charging is off

Hi, I bought my iPhone 12 Pro Max just 4 days ago. I have noticed that it would never charge past 80% even though the Optimized Battery Charging option is turned off. I have never seen it reach 90 to 100% since I got it. I have also updated to the latest iOS version available, but nothing changed. Could it be that there is a defect on my iPhone?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 2, 2021 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 7:14 AM

Hello, EanneVillas! Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. 

We understand your situation and how you are noticing that your iPhone will not charge past 80%. We’re happy to research this issue with you to find out what could be causing this to happen. 

To start, we’d like to provide you with the following Apple Support article: 

If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge - Apple Support

According to the article above: “Your iPhone might get slightly warmer while it charges. To extend the lifespan of your battery, if the battery gets too warm, software might limit charging above 80 percent. Your iPhone will charge again when the temperature drops. Try moving your iPhone and charger to a cooler location.”. 

For help with keeping your iPhone within acceptable temperatures, please use the tips in the following article: 

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

We hope this information helps you fully charge your device. Please let us know if we can help with anything else. 

Cheers! 

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 7:14 AM in response to EanneVillas

Hello, EanneVillas! Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. 

We understand your situation and how you are noticing that your iPhone will not charge past 80%. We’re happy to research this issue with you to find out what could be causing this to happen. 

To start, we’d like to provide you with the following Apple Support article: 

If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge - Apple Support

According to the article above: “Your iPhone might get slightly warmer while it charges. To extend the lifespan of your battery, if the battery gets too warm, software might limit charging above 80 percent. Your iPhone will charge again when the temperature drops. Try moving your iPhone and charger to a cooler location.”. 

For help with keeping your iPhone within acceptable temperatures, please use the tips in the following article: 

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

We hope this information helps you fully charge your device. Please let us know if we can help with anything else. 

Cheers! 

Jun 6, 2021 6:22 PM in response to EanneVillas

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Jun 6, 2021 6:19 PM in response to JJRASC

Hello! JJRASC. I am facing the same problem with EanneVillas. My IP 11 with IOS 14.5 can’t charge to 100, its stuck around 80-90 even i try to charge overnight (last night it stuck at 83%) and shut off optimized battery charging (battery health 100), any suggestions ?

ps. It’s just happened for last 5 days and i think before this issues arise the condition of charging is the same, so I don’t know why.

iPhone would not charge past 80% even Optimized Battery Charging is off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.