Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cracked screen at hinge of MacBook Pro M1 2020

The MacBook Pro's sharp case edge cracked the screen at the hinge (following a service for a battery issue). The left hand side has the same problem, but less deep for now. The sharp edge of the case cuts directly into the screen as it closes. This happened in the days following when I got my computer back from a service. Anyone else have this experience?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 2, 2021 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 2:08 PM

Take it back to where the work was performed and see what they have to say. You should not wait with this as it will be far more difficult to prove that it happened during the repair if you wait too long.

Similar questions

3 replies

May 2, 2021 2:26 PM in response to babowa

Thanks. Indeed I will make an appointment ASAP. Interestingly, here in Germany, because of covid, the service at the stores is very limited, but still available. I took it in to service because the battery drained nearly 100% in 15 mins, and then lost 40% in 2 hours, so I thought the battery was broken. Machine is 2 months with me. All they could do was offer to check the hardware, while admitting the hardware check did not include any battery test, and returned the device wiped with new operating system installed saying all was well. I have never been so appalled in all my life. The returned device has approximately 12 hours battery life when doing nothing - just screen on an e.g. on Zoom. When new, the battery lasted for ever. I am a bit shocked because I am new to Apple and swapped having had 2 Windows Acer machines (which never broke, amazing) and a Dell Inspiron running Ubuntu (which developed boot problems twice), so swapped to Apple because it seemed like a high-end time-saver with mega cool software for music and video and photos. I hope this gets sorted ! Will try to keep this post up to date.

May 2, 2021 3:55 PM in response to pleasetroppus

In the US, service is limited as well. I have good luck choosing a hardware issue (e.g. does not turn on) - that always results in an option to take it to the genius bar with appointment choices. Once there, have your paperwork with you and explain the problems. If necessary, ask to speak to the store manager politely.

The problem with the new super thin devices is the fact that, in my opinion, they are more prone to damage and now we are also dealing with new hardware (M1) which does not yet have a track record.

Personally I will stick with my 2017 iMac and Macbook Air for the time being.

Did you buy Applecare?

Cracked screen at hinge of MacBook Pro M1 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.