Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing not working

I'm having trouble streaming content from my computer's library to my AppleTV 4k. I can connect to my library with the orange Computer app on the Apple TV, but when I select movies, it says, "There are no movies in your Library" But if I open the TV app on my MacBook Pro, there are movies added. When I select the TV Shows, it shows some tv shows in my library, but there isn't a thumbnail, and I can't play any of them. Same with Music, photos, etc.

I've updated my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) to 11.3

The Apple 4k is updated.

My library is on an external hard drive, and it's mounted.

Both are on the same network.

I've turned on media sharing in the Sharing in System Preferences.

I've turned off and on home sharing on MacBook and Apple TV 4k.

I also have Music and TV apps open on my MacBook. That seemed to help when it was iTunes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 2, 2021 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 6:34 PM

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support and also do the basics.

• Unplug the Apple TV from power for 2-3 minutes and repower then restart the Mac you have Home Sharing on, then turn off Home Sharing and turn it back on and sign in. Obviously ensure both devices are on the same network.

If you have already done that, then do it again!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2021 6:34 PM in response to RemyZ

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support and also do the basics.

• Unplug the Apple TV from power for 2-3 minutes and repower then restart the Mac you have Home Sharing on, then turn off Home Sharing and turn it back on and sign in. Obviously ensure both devices are on the same network.

If you have already done that, then do it again!

May 3, 2021 7:13 AM in response to RemyZ

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy. 

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for Norton and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally. 

May 3, 2021 2:40 AM in response to RemyZ

I've turned on media sharing in the Sharing in System Preferences.

Also turn on Home Sharing in Media Sharing, and verify that the same Apple ID account is used for Home Sharing on both devices.

I also have Music and TV apps open on my MacBook. That seemed to help when it was iTunes.

That is not necessary anymore in Catalina or later.

May 3, 2021 6:29 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Just to be clear, I was able to connect to my library. I just could see any movies in my library, even the ones I had purchased from Apple. I was able to see that I had tv shows and music in my library, but they wouldn't play.

I have figured out the problem, and I'm a little embarrassed. I forgot all about Norton 360. It seemed the Connection Blocking under the firewall tab is interfering with the home-sharing. I tried to figure out how to fix it, but I haven't found to answer so far.

I did find a workaround. If I turn off the firewall setting in Notrons and turn on the firewall in the MacBook System Preferences, I can access and play all my movies, tv shows, etc., in my library.

Home sharing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.