Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV won't show the movies from my Mac.

After updating to latest version of tvOS and macOS my Apple TV won't show the movies from my Mac. Homesharing is enabled and I can see my library in the app "Computer" on the Apple TV - but choosing Movies just gives message "no movies in library". And most frustrating it used to work......

Anyone has ideas? Or perhaps have same experience?

Thanks

Posted on May 3, 2021 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 6:30 AM

Hi

I have found the "bug". It is my Norton firewall. And the reason for not suspecting it in the first place was - of course - that it had worked before - so why should it not work after a sw-upgrade.

Anyway - have now turned the Norton Firewall off (and turned the macOS firewall on) and problem solved.

Will have to "play" with firewall settings on another day ......

Thanks

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2021 6:30 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi

I have found the "bug". It is my Norton firewall. And the reason for not suspecting it in the first place was - of course - that it had worked before - so why should it not work after a sw-upgrade.

Anyway - have now turned the Norton Firewall off (and turned the macOS firewall on) and problem solved.

Will have to "play" with firewall settings on another day ......

Thanks

May 4, 2021 7:20 AM in response to Klas Christensen

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy. 

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for Norton or any others and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally. 

May 3, 2021 5:35 AM in response to Klas Christensen

Please follow the steps in Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support & Troubleshooting Home Sharing.

Also, if you are running Catalina or later on your Mac please ensure Home Sharing is on in:

System Preferences - Sharing - Media Sharing box is checked and that you are logged in. For example, mine looks like:

Apple TV won't show the movies from my Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.