Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bank of America mobile app issues "Error: We're sorry, we weren't able to complete your request. Please try again."

I have an iPhone Xs and recently discovered that my Bank of America mobile app is no longer opening. Upon attempting to open it, says: "Error: We're sorry, we weren't able to complete your request. Please try again."

I have deleted the app and downloaded already. Didn't change the issue. Any ideas?

edit: check the VPN in both "Settings" and any VPN app you have. turn off the VPN - even if you are 100% sure the VPN is off, go back into settings and turn off and go into any VPN App you may have an turn it off again.

the VPN icon doesn't always show at the top of Iphone12 - so you may think it's off, but it isn't.

BOA App HATES VPNs.... many times I've gotten this "ERROR" message from BOA app - and it has always been the VPN causing issues.

iPhone 12

Posted on May 3, 2021 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 8:02 AM

Everyone should hate VPNs. They are a substantial security risk, as the VPN provider knows everything about you; how trustworthy are they? See→Don't use VPN services. · GitHub

The only legitimate use for VPN is to access a closed network, such as an internal corporate network.

The reason many apps (such as BofA) don’t work over VPN is security. In addition to your user ID and password, the app uses your location, and it expects your location to be near the location of your IP address. But a VPN connection presents the end point IP address of the exit node from the VPN as your location, which could be anywhere in the world, and may not even be in the country where your phone is located.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 8:02 AM in response to hjgjaxson1

Everyone should hate VPNs. They are a substantial security risk, as the VPN provider knows everything about you; how trustworthy are they? See→Don't use VPN services. · GitHub

The only legitimate use for VPN is to access a closed network, such as an internal corporate network.

The reason many apps (such as BofA) don’t work over VPN is security. In addition to your user ID and password, the app uses your location, and it expects your location to be near the location of your IP address. But a VPN connection presents the end point IP address of the exit node from the VPN as your location, which could be anywhere in the world, and may not even be in the country where your phone is located.

Bank of America mobile app issues "Error: We're sorry, we weren't able to complete your request. Please try again."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.