Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my charging wire is gettting a brown burned spot near where I plug it into my iPhone 11

The Apple 6' charging wire I use to charge my iPhone 11 overnight has developed a split in the wire's outside casing, revealing what looks like a brown burn spot on the exposed inside wires. Have others had this problem? What is its cause?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on May 3, 2021 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 10:22 AM

Nothing in the phone would heat up a cable like that and still work OK. It could have fractured most of the wires leaving just a few to take the current

If you are done with it, slit the cable insulation lengthways with a scalpel and do an autopsy

It doesn’t sound like a genuine cable,

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2021 10:22 AM in response to gerardjd

Nothing in the phone would heat up a cable like that and still work OK. It could have fractured most of the wires leaving just a few to take the current

If you are done with it, slit the cable insulation lengthways with a scalpel and do an autopsy

It doesn’t sound like a genuine cable,

May 5, 2021 9:51 AM in response to LD150

Thank you, LD150, I did buy a new one from an Apple Store, but my bigger concern was why this had happened. I don't know why the old wire seemed to heat up, darken and fray, and wondered if it had anything to do with the quality of the charging port on my iPhone?, or possibly was this a symptom of some other problem with my iPhone? The guy at the Apple Store didn't know, but I did get a new charging cable!

my charging wire is gettting a brown burned spot near where I plug it into my iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.