Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with dock icons

Since I upgraded to Big Sur last week I am having problems with my dock icons. Sometimes when I click on an icon a finder window pops up. Sometimes I have to click on the icon twice instead of once then it will open or take me to the open app. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, sometimes they work on the first click sometimes they don’t.

Posted on May 3, 2021 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 1:00 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 1:00 PM in response to Julieo2020

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Problems with dock icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.